British Columbia: pesticide

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by alfred, Mar 30, 2011.

1. alfred

alfred Member

I hope you can help me. For many years I used Cygon systemic
    pesticide (dimethoate). I ran out recently and discovered that it is no longer available to retail buyers. I used it to control all kinds of pests attacking fruit trees, vegetable
    crops, roses and other flowering shrubs, etc, and found it wonderfully
    effective.

Since it is no longer available, what can I use that is equally effective,
    or am I supposed to strangle the aphids, mites and other pests individually.

I just want to find a suitable replacement.

Thanks

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Possibly you have so many pest bugs because you've been eliminating natural predators for years.

3. Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd Well-Known Member

As Ron said - you have killed off all the good bugs that prey on the bad bugs. About 90 to 95 percent of the bugs in any garden are beneficial and unfortunately do not reproduce as rapidly as the bad ones. Give your good bugs a year to recover and do their job. In the meantime use high volume water spray, hunt and squish, and other such benign methods to control them.

People bring me rose and other leaves with perfectly round #2 pencil eraser sized holes in them. I tell them a Mother, Leaf Cutter Bee has decided you grew the best leaves because she is cutting out the little round sections to use as blankets between her babies. What does it mater that there are a few imperfections in your garden. You must pay for the work the pollinators and vermin eaters do for you. ;)) barb

4. Daniel Mosquin

Daniel Mosquin Paragon of Plants UBC Botanical Garden Forums Administrator Forums Moderator 10 Years

Well, I see New Westminster has a pesticide use bylaw, and if you follow that link, click on Pesticide Use Bylaw, it will open up a PDF with the bylaw and (on the last page, Schedule A) a list of permitted pesticides.

For residential use, your choices are limited. Perhaps if you ask about specific situations, someone can give you targeted advice from among the permitted options available to you.

5. Sundrop

Sundrop Well-Known Member

Alfred,
    Well, I got rather scared when reading this. And, from what you wrote, it looks like Cygon didn't do too good job for you anyhow, since you had to use it over and over again.
    Believe me, Barbara's approach will work much better and save you time, money and, first of all, health.
    If I had to choose I would rather eat aphids than Cygon absorbed and stored in the tissues of your plants. I don't have to choose, though, since my property is teeming with beneficial insects that do a very good job for me.

6. Tree Nut

Tree Nut Active Member

Agreed. Also healthy plants are less susceptible to insect attack as they can typically outgrow insect predation or exude hormones to deter them. I would worry more about having the right minerals and nutrients in the soil to have the healthiest possible plants. Insects instinctively attack weak plants. I wouldn't worry about the odd bug or occasional hole in a leaf.

7. wf1992

wf1992 Member

I'm sure it's been said before, but douse 'em with soapy water in a spray bottle. I find this pretty effective for aphid infestations. Perhaps I have less other nasties in my yard, and sowbug/slugbait takes care of most of the rest. Woe is me when they outlaw my slugbait tho...