Where can I buy White Akebono or Ornamental Plum?

Discussion in 'Ornamental Cherries' started by Siye, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Siye

Siye Member

Hi there,

I was wondering where I could buy young (5 year old) Akebono or Ornamental Plum (Prunus mume) trees. I live in the Langley area and would prefer somewhere close to me.

Price point is pretty important as well (cheap) but has to be a good balance with quality.

Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2011
  2. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

The Vancouver Cherry Blossom Festival has been running a fund-raiser called Birthday Blossoms, including the sale of three cultivars, the only one of which is still available is 'Akebono' - 4-year old, approximately six feet tall trees, contained in a five gallon pot, $40 plus tax.

The sale is officially over, butorders placed now may be picked up on May 7th at VanDusen Garden only until supplies last. That info I was given is a bit unclear to me, but I think it means you can place the order now until supplies last, and you have to pick them up at VanDusen on May 7th.

Check the Birthday Blossoms page of the website.

3. Siye

Siye Member

Yeah, exactly. I missed out. I don't think I'm willing to wait quite that long since I'd like to plant next month or so.
    I've dropped by a few local nurseries but what I've seen hasn't been impressive. Low quality trees and not the ones that I want either.

Thank you though!

4. wcutler

wcutler Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout 10 Years

I was told yesterday that you can go to any of the pick-up locations at the designated times and they should have a few available for on-site purchase. The locations are on the website.

5. Siye

Siye Member

Yeah that's what I'm planning on.

Although I'm surprised no one else can give me a tip for a different source. ^^;;

Thanks!

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

If you are in Langley try Cannor's in abbotsford.