Peach Pruning: You be the judge!

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Tobin, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Tobin

Tobin Active Member

Hi everyone,

I have some ideas on what to do with this two-year old from bareroot "Frost" Peach tree of mine, but I thought I'd withhold my comments and see what you all had for advice. I think I know what to do, and I definitely know it needs to be pruned, but lets hear what you've all got to say!

Toby

Attached Files:

2. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Bottom left - Pic #1
    Remove new lower branch entirely - you have a good branch above and any fruit on the lower branch will likely bend the branch to the ground.

Cut off anything that is growing toward the trunk.

Still left pic #1 Shorten all new growth (red) to approximately 12 to 18 inches.

Pic # 1 right bottom. Remove that ground level branch - it's likely a plum anyway.

Pic #1 right side. If it grows inwards it should be removed and shorten all pencil sized branches to approximately 12 to 18 inches.

All over. If it is a slender twig (match stick sized) remove it.

Top all over. If there are three or more branches from a similar hub reduce them to one or perhaps two.

Unless you later plan to use a 20 foot ladder cut the tops off all branches so they won't grow over 12 feet high.

You will likely get blossoms and/or fruit this year but contain yourself and pick off all blossoms and/or fruit. Next year you will get fruit. Thin the fruit to a hand-width apart. Three dozen almost guarenteed.

The Frost peach can take a heavy pruning and yours looks like a fine specimen.

Dunc

3. Tobin

Tobin Active Member

Dunc, thanks so very much! Another reminder that I should not lean on my own understanding and ask for help when I need it. I'm going to prune this weekend and try to take an identical picture and highlight the cuts I've made. Thanks again so very much!

4. Tobin

Tobin Active Member

Dunc and all,

I thought I'd show you an update photo so you can grade how I've done. I am especially curious to hear what you think of the most upright limb rising from the cluster of three...should it go? I kind of think it should, but it would really up the percentage-removed for a single year. What do you think? How did I do in general? Any further advice?

I keep seeing diagrams in various states' ag extension pdf's showing some kind of stick that is wedged into branches to increase the angle and make the branches more horizontal. Should I do that? Is it a big deal?

Thanks!
    Toby

Attached Files:

5. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I think that you are over thinking, what really isn't a problem. Your pruning looks good and will encourage new growth in the proper direction. If you are happy with the 3 branchs from the same node the tree will still be happy too. As to spreading branchs, a small 1x1" chunk of wood will act as a spreader and re-align the width to the desired open center. I use a bit of an old hose on the end of the spreader as a buffer against the bark, so as to not injure the tree. After a season the bent branch will stay in place.

Give it another season, and re-think if you have a problem.

Dunc

6. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

Looks like you took too much off at one time.

Generally, the mistake of novices is not what they remove, but the rate at which they remove it.

The wide angles are good to have if achievable.

7. elgordo

elgordo Active Member

Sorry to veer away from the topic, M.D. (Dr? Ha, ha!), but where is that amazing picture? The Redwood Forest?