Pruning: time to prune top of thuja occ. off?

Discussion in 'Gymnosperms (incl. Conifers)' started by pavol122, Mar 15, 2011.

1. pavol122

pavol122 Member

Hello, I'd like to know whether I should prune these thujas or not. Most of them are 2-3 years old with well developed root system and rather nice shape. I intend to fertilize them with 4-6 months CRF Osmocote exact in April. And that is my problem. Last year I did exactly same but I did not prune any of them. It was quite wet year so they started to grow exscesively and became unattractive (tall and thin). Should I just prune the top off them or do no pruning at all?

Cultivars:
    Thuja occ. "Holmstrup"
    Thuja occ. "Meinekes Zwerg" which is already quite thin to be honest.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Depends on what they're for. If they are for planting as specimen trees, they'll be far better not pruned at all. If they're for hedging and will be kept pruned thoughout their use, then pruning can be started now.

3. pavol122

pavol122 Member

thanks for quick answer. All of them will be used for hedging, so I better start sharpening my shears. Definitelly wouldn't like them to end up like last year. Tomorrow I can take a picture of those planted last year so you get the idea how disproportioned they've became.

4. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

What they need is to be moved on to bigger pots.

Soon.

Correct root deformities when doing so.

Save the initiation of the hedge pruning until after they are planted out, in their final positions.

5. pavol122

pavol122 Member

what size of pots do you suggest? Currently, we use 17cm (2 litres) pots and plants tends to get rootbound rather quickly (especially thujas). Repotting several thousands of thujas after 2 years would be extremely time consuming. Should we plant rooted cuttings in spring into 14cm pots and replant them in autumn into 19 or 21cm pots so they would be able to stay in those containers for at least 3 years (we have to keep them in containers for selling and they grow into 70-80 cm in about 3 years.) Moving to 21cm pots from 17cm would be quite expensive (more substrate, higher prices of 21cm containers and more space required to store them) although having rootbound plants after 2 years is currently our biggest problem.