Propagation: Help! Dracaena-deremensis 'Janet Craig' Propagation

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by leaftoleaves, Mar 16, 2011.

1. leaftoleaves

leaftoleaves Member

There are two "Janet Craig's" in the office right now that look terrible (pictures attached). They're about 4' tall and have about 20 leaves between the two of them. I've been trying to spray water on them every once in a while and clean their leaves (what few they have left), but they don't seem to be getting any better (probably partly due to the weather). I am planning on propagating them using the stem cutting method when it gets warmer, since the plant is mostly leafless now. However, I admit I am scared of cutting off what remains alive on the plant. Any tips on propagation?

Any other suggestions for getting leaves back on these plants?

It would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. riptidefrog

riptidefrog Active Member

Ive done this before with great success. I just cut the plant to the desired height and then cut the rest of the cane into 6-8 inch long sections and stuck then a few inches deep into soil remembering which side is up. Place the pots in indirect bright light and dont over water. I didnt cover mine to increase humidity, i just kept an eye on things adding small amounts of water to keep things from drying too much.

In a few weeks you should notice swelling and brightening on the cane followed by scale like leaves eventually widening and lengthening into normal leaves.

You can also plant the top with the remaining leaves into a container and this should have a jumpstart on the cuttings once it gets some roots.

Additionally you may try to lay the cuttings on their side and the cane should put out growth along the side in a few points.

The original plant should branch giving you 1-3 new branches just below where you made your cut.

I have tried both ways and putting the canes upright worked better and faster.

The rooting and growing process for these seemed slow to me but it makes sense, the plant is a relatively slow grower compared to others.

3. leaftoleaves

leaftoleaves Member

Thanks so much for your detailed reply! I am going to try it out. Hopefully I'll have some leafier pictures in the future :)