grapefruit tree

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Heather Cohen, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Heather Cohen

Heather Cohen Member

I have numerous grapefruit trees indoors that are about 10 years old. They have yet to produce any grapefruit. Any one have any ideas or do I just have duds that will never produce?

2. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  3. Heather Cohen

Heather Cohen Member

Re: One year old grapefruit tree with flower

Those replies in that thread were all excellent. Yet, my plants are from ruby red grapefruits and none have produced any flowers. Is there a special fertilizer or do I just need to keep waiting? I planted them from seed and they are about 10 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2011
  4. ghp

ghp Active Member

Hi Heather, I found this Four Winds Growers page that addresses the problem of fruit trees not bearing fruit. Maybe this information might help you diagnose the problem? Hope this helps.

5. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

There's nothing special that I'm aware of that would force the trees to bloom if they have not yet reached maturity. For trees that are mature, cold and drought are triggers for the production of flower buds. It wouldn't hurt to subject the trees to cooler temperatures during winter and spring to see it would make a difference. The number of hours of cold that are required has been posted in the citrus forum in the past; [post=92167]this[/post] is one such post.

The thread I referenced earlier upthread made mention of node count which is a measure of a citrus tree's maturity. [thread=49012]Here[/thread] is a thread that further expands on that concept.

Your trees should be fertilized on a regular schedule using a fertilizer that contains micronutrients. An NPK ratio of 5-1-3 or similar is suggested.