blue clay oops HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bobncat, May 16, 2010.

1. bobncat

bobncat Member

Ok, so I wanted to bring in some dirt, fill in some holes, build up a section to put a shed on and level the back yard!!!. They told me it had some clay in it but it is mostly BLUE CLAY!

My husband used a small tractor to move some of it therefore compacting a lot of it. What tiller can I use to loosen it up to level it and will grass grow over it?

I saw a 21 Earthquake 190cc tiller. But, I don't think this will be tough enough. Please give me input as soon as humanly possible.

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Dump good topsoil over the top and plant the grass in that. Stay out of the clay, unless drain lines need to be installed to disperse surface water (or a high water table, below the surface) during wet periods.

3. bobncat

bobncat Member

good advice, but I still need to level it and this is difficult at best. What can I use to till it so I can level it? When you ride over it with a small tractor or bobcat it compounds it and it is like rock. You know, like clay gets. Right now there are hills and valleys, small ones like a foot here and there, but this needs to leveled before putting more dirt.

What is a good, durable machine that can be counted on for tilling this nightmare.

Thank you so much for your reply

4. copperwoman

copperwoman Member

Hi, I'm doing pigment research and have been looking for local (I'm in Bellingham) sources of that blue clay you're having trouble with. Would you mind contacting me? I have some questions about it as well as need some.
    Thanks
    Melonie