Olive tree losing leaves - UK

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by TONY1, Mar 4, 2011.

1. TONY1

TONY1 Member

Help Olive Tree was in pot over winter 2009/10 put in garden in spring growing great through summer but winter 10/11 has been bad its planted west so gets lots of sun, leaves were on still when we had all the snow november december but when Jan came all leaves have gone I got it for Girlfriend, she said it looks dead but have read that they can lose leaves every 2 years not sure if thats right but there are no buds just a 2.5 meter stick with a few little branches with nothing on,what should we do ? Temp did go down to about -8 to -12
    but that was before the frost it was warmer when the frost came.

2. billdango

billdango Member

it should be ok tony ,i have a large six foot specimen in my backyard and it defoliated last winter but was in full leaf again by july . the same has happened this winter during -7c last december so i am hoping it greens up again by midsummer .
    rgds billdango.

3. TONY1

TONY1 Member

Thanks Bill Fingers crossed, what sort of feed should we give it do you think, we have Roses near to it so would you say a bit of cow dun or compost?
    tony

4. billdango

billdango Member

thanks for your reply tony , no fertilzer has ever been given yet my olive tree looks pretty healthy. its planted in clay stony soil next to my shed and produces new leaves every year .so i hope your tree recovers soon . i will let you know when mine regrows new leaves . all the best ,billdango.