Tips of the slipper orchid turn dark

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by gallina, Feb 13, 2011.

1. gallina

gallina Active Member

A couple of leaves on my slipper orchid have dark tips. Otherwise, the orchid looks healthy and starts blooming. Can it be because of the cold air from the window?

Attached Files:

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. gallina

gallina Active Member

Oh, thank you for the links. The lack of moisture might be the reason in my case..

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Yes, leaf-tip burn on orchids is either caused by too much fertilizer, too little water, or a combination of both. I'm not sure how to explain it, but that is the cause. I see you are in Toronto - have you checked out the Southern Ontario Orchid Society? http://www.soos.ca/index.htm Their show was this past weekend.

5. gallina

gallina Active Member

In my case, it's most likely too little water. I do let it dry out, because otherwise I'm afraid to damage the roots with moisture. I should probably change the mix. Currently, it's 100% moss. I should add some bark.

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Nothing wrong with moss, but I find it hard to keep the moisture consistent. If you keep it too wet, the roots will rot. If you let it dry out, it's hard to re-wet. It might be a good idea to check the roots and re-pot. How long has it been since it was re-potted? I would wait until it has finished blooming, though. I use a fine-bark mix with sponge rock. I'm also trying the semi-hydro method. Do a Google search on that - very interesting. It's basically clsy balls in a container (any contatiner will do) that you put hole in about 1/3 of the way up, so that there will be a reservoir of water in the bottom. Water from the top to full, and let the water drain out the holes in the sides. Doesn't work for everyone, but so far it is working for me! I can try to find some links for you if you want to learn more. I doubt you will ever have brown tips again with this method!

7. gallina

gallina Active Member

I bought this orchi a couple of years ago, potted in the moss. I have never repotted it since, only added fresh moss. I agree that with the moss, it's always dry on top, and damp inside.
    I've found lots of links for semi hydro method! But in his case do you use the fertilizer more often?

8. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I would suggest re-potting as soon as your plant is done blooming. Be warned, though, orchids transplanted from any type of mix into a semi-hydro method tend to loose any roots they have. This is not that big a problem, as long as you repot when new roots are coming. The new roots will adapt to the new conditions, and more will come. I have been very impressed with the growth and recover of the plants I have done with this method. Do you have a lot of orchids? As I said, it doesn't work for everyone, so I can't guarantee that you will be happy, but look at it as an experiment.

I generally don't fertilize much. If you do, make sure you rinse out the resevoir well with clean water every once in a while. The fertilizer can build up in the resevoir and on the clay pellets and can burn the roots.

9. gallina

gallina Active Member

I have a phal and this slipper orchid. This method might not be good for paphs, but rather for phals..

10. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

It's actually good for pretty well everything. I have Dendrobiums, Paphs, Phrags, a Laelia anceps and Restrepias in it, and all are doing fine. You can grow Phals, Catts, anything in it. I haven't heard of a genus yet that won't work in it. The only limiting factor I have heard is it doesn't work well with anything that has a pendant flower spike, like Stanhopeas, for example, as you will never see the flowers!

This is all just a suggestion, but the main thing for you, is that you repot your plant so that you can get good, healthy roots. Good luck!

11. gallina

gallina Active Member

Thank you for the suggestion, I would like to give it a try.