Preventive action for Maples

Discussion in 'Maples' started by Fabrice, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Fabrice

Fabrice Active Member Maple Society

2011 will be my first season with maples. I have collected a few of them this winter but so far all I could see was but twigs.
    Is there anything I could do in terms of preventive action against bugs and fungus ?
    A basic product to buy ?
    Maybe Neem oil or ?...

Thanks for your help in this matter.

2. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I use Bayer systemic products for fungal. Its miraculous. The one I use says its for roses, but it works beautifully on maples, rhododendrons, etc. I'm assuming you can get it in Europe since Bayer is a German company.

For insects I think a more natural product is best - something containing pyrethrins.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Personally I don't do anything for fungal disease, in my climate and growing conditions it does not seem necessary. I sometimes spray for aphids but only when I see them. One thing I may use in the future as a preventative, but have not done so yet, are the nematodes for the control of vine weevil grubs - you usually do not know the grubs are there until they have eaten all the roots in the container and the plant is dead.

4. Fabrice

Fabrice Active Member Maple Society

Thanks Kaitain and Maf

I forgot to mention I would like a product that be as environmentally friendly as possible, but I guess that could be a challenge with fungus.
    Also, what time of year should preventive action be taken ?

5. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Dormant pil sprays - now. Anti-fungals like Bayer, after leaves are out. Need three treatments 2 weeks apart. Repeat later in the season as necessary. Insects - only when they become a problem.

6. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Hi K4, the Bayer product you use (which I bought in the US in one of my visits and which I confirm it is an excellent anti-fungal) is not available in the European Union for the general public. Each year there is a new bunch of pest and insect control products which are made unavailable to most while farmers and other horticultural professionals can continue to use them. The alternative 'eco-friendly' products cost much more and are completely inefficient. We are expecting that, starting next year, European gardeners will no longer be able to treat their roses against black spot.

Gomero

7. bigjohn33

bigjohn33 Active Member

hi
    i use aliette in the beginning of spring since three years
    i do not know if it is the reason why i hadn't fungal problems since then
    but it is th case!