Daphne Odora starts/cuttings

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by MsMax, Mar 8, 2010.

1. MsMax

MsMax Member

Does anyone know how to create a start from a daphne odora bush? My neighbor at our condominium block has a flowering daphne outside their door that I whiff everytime I head down the sidewalk. I've taken a cutting and put it in a glass of water in hopes it might start rooting so I could make my own bush. It's not turning out too well, though. So I googled daphne odora cutting and haven't had much luck finding an understandable method of creating a plant from the bush. Is there some complex method for creating a start from the bush? Thank you

2. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

I haven't tried this myself, but will to test these directions. It is now January and the $12 daphne I planted last year is just beginning to develop purple buds at the tips of the shoots. After the bloom is the only time during the year that professional horticulturalists suggest pruning daphne so I am getting ready to start a few new plants from this new one now. Cuttings are a great time and $ saver and you may as well take some pride in its success too. Soon after the daphne blooms and the bloom fades, I will take a tip cutting through a soft green part of the shoot, take several leaves from the base of the cutting and snip the very tender tip which should retard the green growth and can reversely promote root growth. Dip it into rooting hormone and place it in moist soil, spongy soil for water absorbance, not sandy soil. Throughout the next two weeks I will keepthe soil moist, not wet, applying water to the base of the container via a saucer and keep the cutting in indirect light. I will begin weaning it from the water after two weeks but not let it go dry. After the third or fourth week I will watch it closely for growth and developing shoots. If it hasn't developed any I will carefully remove it from the pot rinse the base and look for roots. If there arn't any I will go to the plant nursery and buy one or wait and think of a new method until next year. It is worth the try! I'll let you know how my attempt works.

3. MsMax

MsMax Member

MuddyP,
    Thank you for your post. Do let me know if you succeed.
    p.s. Are you a Ducks fan? Pretty cool them getting all the way to Nationals.

Till later...
    Ms. Max
    Eugene

4. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

Not football follower, but I do like baseball and have Mariner's tee I wear with hope. I haven't made any cuttings yet. This year's growth hasn't gotten long enough yet. Thanks for the acknowledgement.

5. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

I picked some of the daphne when it came into bloom and brought it indoors to enjoy. After the corolla faded and dropped, the leaves were pale green and it looked like it was time to throw it out, I decided to plant it. After dipping the stem into rootone and placing into wet soil, I put the pot near a window that of course doesn't get direct sun because it is only March here in the Northwest. ... Several weeks pass and I water it one or two times. Some of the leaf tips are burned but miraculously greener and possibly even growing!!! IMG_0020.jpg

6. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

I have a Daphne question...I have two in a sunny bed and the darned things are sprawling all over the place in a very unattractive tangle. Is this typical of Daphne?

Regards,
    Janet

7. MuddyP

MuddyP Member

Dear Ms Max,
    The cuttings didn't root. Though the leaves stayed a nice deep green; I'm guessing that the black tips were the sign of well, FAILURE! It still may be possible this year to take a cutting and give it a second try. I'll try it again on a few of the tender new stems.

8. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I have never taken cuttings of Daphne, but cuttings of semi-ripe wood in Summer are recommended.