English Laurel problem :(

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by RedThumb, Jan 23, 2011.

1. RedThumb

RedThumb Member

Hi There,

Can anyone help me before my whole English Laurel hedge dies???

I have had this hedge for 3 years now and they have been great but in November 2010 I noticed some brown spots on the leaves. I cut off these leaves. Now, 2 mos later the brown spots have spread to other bushes and the stems look discolored too. The soil is about a foot deep. Our gardener said that the laurel roots do not grow very deep.
    I attached a picture. Please, anybody- is there hope?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

What do you mean by "English Laurel"? There's no such thing, as England doesn't have any native laurels.

For the picture, see Attaching Images for how to upload it here.

3. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Micheal, English Laurel is very common, for it's common name in these parts. :)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_laurocerasus
    As to the problem, a picture of the damage would surely help, normally they are quite indestructible, invasive in some areas by prolifically reseeding.

4. RedThumb

RedThumb Member

Thanks for your patience. The photo is attached. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attached Files:

• 172.jpg
      172.jpg
      File size:
      143.9 KB
      Views:
  5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

6. jimmyq

jimmyq Well-Known Member 10 Years

Saltcedar, I get a bad link from your posted URL. It looks like fungal leaf spot, reduce/eliminate overhead watering and consider using a bordeaux mixture (copper spray).

7. RedThumb

RedThumb Member

Thanks for the tip. I will pick this up at Cedar Rim if they have it. It is spreading quickly (2 weeks- only 5 infected bushes to 12 now). In the summer I use slow drip irrigation but the winter it's all about the rain. Does the copper spray just control the spread? What do you suggest for the leaves and stem appearance? I wonder if the leaves will just fall off or if I need to remove them.

8. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Sanitation (infected leaf removal)is always a good idea with any disease.
    However I have little experience with this or most diseases as I shovel
    prune every plant that can't hack my soil, climate and growing techniques.

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/peach_tree_borer.htm
    Another reason not to use this species.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  9. jimweed

jimweed Active Member 10 Years

Providing it is a fungal leaf spot(which it does greatly resemble)copper will help slow down the spread and aid in protecting the other leaves. You will need repeated treatments, my experience would suggest about every couple weeks for at least 3 applications. The damaged leaves will stay damaged so it is up to you to remove what you feel is adequate. Then some monitoring to see if it still spreading so you can nip it in the but as soon as you notice a clean leaf becoming spotty.

In the bottom left of your photo you can see how some leaves are growing in a deformed manor, some wrinkling, and one leaf seems to have its edge missing. These can be signs of other plant issues that copper may not help as much. Which in return may make it more susceptible to the spread of leaf spot. Jim