Pics of my new carnivorous plants.

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by GardenNub, Jan 30, 2011.

1. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

I couldn't really find a good place to post pictures. Where should we do this now that most of the forums have been archived? Anyway, im posting them here in the meantime. I hope this is not a problem.

I was informed that a terrarium is not the best for these plants so i re potted them, but here is what they looked like the night i got them in the mail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They are a typical venus fly trap and a drosera venusta

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Cool! What is the mix you have them in now?

3. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

Its the same mix, 50% perlite and 50% medium coarse sand. It seems its draining ok, does it sound like a bad mix?

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Perlite and sand? Interesting. Not unusual ingredients, but peat is usually used to hold the moisture. You have your plants in a container with no drainage holes, so I guess that mix will do, as they will always be wet. make sure the sand is thoroughly washed, though, as the plants will not tollerate any minerals or nutrients, as there can be in sand. I use silica sand myself.

5. GardenNub

GardenNub Active Member

Woops typo....its peat moss not perlite lol. And i switched them to pots with drainage holes.