How Big, the Guava?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Gordo, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Gordo

Gordo Active Member 10 Years

Ok, so I've read the Guava is a "small" tree, up to about 10 meters or so in height.
    What, then, would qualify for "super-size" status among these trees? What would you say is the upper limit in size?

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Psidium guajava?

3. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

About 12 m is the tallest P. guajava tree I've ever seen; it was quite old. After about 10 m of height, though, they generally spread rather than getting taller.

4. Gordo

I was asking the question because I encountered a specimen growing in the jungle of Parque International La Amistad (Panama), labeled Psidium guajaba (I'm assuming a spelling error on the plaque). I would estimate the tree was at least 60 feet tall.
    The tree is known locally as Guayabo de Montaña, and seems to generally match the description for guava. The size of this specimen, along with a few others I've seen in the area, has me wondering if the trees up here in the mountains are just local variants or...?
    Any thoughts?

5. Gordo

Ok, I've come to realize that the tree in question is NOT a guava, though I do suspect it is may be a member of the Myrtacae - perhaps something like Eugenia. Here are some photos:

033.jpg

034.jpg

035.jpg

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's a Poma Rosa, Szygium jambos. I've never heard them called Guayaba del Monte before!