What is the Hardiness of the Chinese Fan Palm?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by SuburbanNinja8000, Jan 24, 2011.

1. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Reason, I ask is if I can put it in the ground and Not Overwinterz it like I seen some people did. If anyone can tell me if its even should even try it. Plus, I like pushing my luck now with palms its fun really maybe not for the plant its self thought.

2. turtile

turtile Member

You can plant it in the ground as a die-back perennial. You'll need to stack 1-2ft of mulch on top of it though.

3. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Needle palm, Rhapidophyllum hystrix & Dwarf Palmetto, Sabal minor
    make more sense in your zone.

4. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Your More in likely right but I just watched a video on Youtube. Chinese Fan palm Barely Survived -14 degree weather. Course, it looked like it gone thought hell those. Here is the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQfirXpM1Lo.

5. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

So you mean just over the Cowen of the Tree... am not going to try to pick out the mulch with those 1 inch long Thorns in it. I Could sleap it out Then again if I get KEVLAR Gloves thats the only way am picking out the Mulch.

6. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

It barely survived +14f. degrees here in Texas last Winter.

7. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Am starting to wounder if he the guy grew it from a seed Talking to a Canadian he told me if you grow them from seed they are going to Cold harder for the area its going to live in.

8. turtile

turtile Member

Leaf mulch would be the easiest way to do it.

Yes and No - Yes, a plant that has been grown from seed will be hardier than one that was just put in the ground from a pot.

A plant grown from seed automatically acclimates to its environment. But a plant grown in a greenhouse will acclimate to the new environment over time. It usually takes around 3 years for a plant to acclimate to a new environment. The most important thing is the root system. Roots are confined to a small area inside the pot and will take a long time to spread out once they are in the ground which is usually tougher to grow through.

9. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

That would be easier to do the leaf mulch but I liked my Idea of the KEVLAR Gloves it would give me a reason to buy some. Thanks you for your wisedom should I just try to Grow them from seeds then?

10. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Hardiness of individual specimen determined by its genetics. No plants acclimate to new environments outside of their predetermined parameters. Being a little older and larger, a potted specimen might be hardier than a new seedling. Neither will be as able to take as much cold as a much larger plant of the same kind, in those instances where this phenomenon is observed (with some kinds of plant smaller individuals come through better because they were covered by snow during the critical cold period).

11. SuburbanNinja8000

SuburbanNinja8000 Member

Am just going to keep it in a pot thats all. The Rest of the palms are going outside in the Growned. Am Only useing Cold harder palms also.