Dieffenbachia rot

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by Unregistered, Oct 13, 2005.

1. I have a problem with my Tropic Snow Dieffenbachia and I 'm looking for help. Right now my plant has root/stem rot and I don't know what to do since I haven't found any remedies online. Is there any way to salvage the plant? The leaves and upper stem look great but the bottom is getting very slimey and gooey very quickly. Can I save it by making new plants from the old one by cutting it? If so, how could I go about this? I've read about cuttings and air layering but I'm not sure what that means.

Thanks!

- David M.

2. Marn

Marn Active Member 10 Years

air layering is when you make a cut part way into the stalk just below were ya want to cut it off .. and add some rooting hormone and wrap it in some spagnum moss then wrap plastic around that area and tie it off with twist ties or somethinglike that at the top and bottom of the plastic .. and wait for it to root .. but if yours is rotting you may not have the time to do this .. Dumbcanes are very picky plants .. try leaveing the water out over night ..and move it to a different area ..try a morning sun spot .. and hope for the best .. here is a link about your plant .. and also look to the right colum for glossary and you will see info about air layering ..

http://www.denverplants.com/foliage/html/DifTropic.htm

good luck

Marn

3. LoganD

LoganD Member

I've had the same problem with dieffenbachias. In my experience, the only hope of saving the plant right now is to take cuttings and root them in clean water where you can keep a close eye on them, and frequently change the water.

This rot is more than likely bacterial, and it's hard to cure. You'll probably have to be really careful with this plant, if you do manage to save some of it. Wash your hands thoroughly before and after handling the plant, and use a clean cutting jar.

Take the cuttings as far up the stem, as far away from the rotting parts as possible, and closely examine the cut for any signs of rot working its way up the stem. If the cutting seems clean, go ahead and try to root it. Wait until you've got a pretty good root system with no signs of rot, before trying to pot it in soil. When you do, make sure to use sterilized potting soil, and a pot you've scrubbed with hot water & soap. Be very careful not to over water the plant in the future.

Again, wash your hands, and sterilize anything that came in contact with the plant, afterwards. It's contagious and could spread to other, similar types of plants.

Good luck!