Orchids---

Discussion in 'Orchidaceae (orchids)' started by cheryl Pereira, Nov 20, 2009.

1. cheryl Pereira

cheryl Pereira Member

I got this beautiful golden flowered orchid plant from the North East India. I live in Bombay ( Mumbai) whihc i on the western cost of India . My Plant grew very well in the first 6 months increasing in leaves and bulbs , the roots look healthy . But all of a sudden the leaves have started getting yellow / black and following off. Even the new ones have started showing these signs.

Is this normal . Can I use some pesticide , is neem oil a good one.

Thanks & regards
    Cheryl

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Before using a pesticide, the cause of the yellowing/falling leaves must be determined. Is this because of insect damage, or is it from excessive moisture, too much or too little light, temperature too high or low, etc.?
    Some leaf drop is normal, but if new leaves are blackening, that's not good.

Please post a photo of your plant to help with diagnosis of the problem.

3. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

I agree - please post a photo. If not, can you describe your plant more?

4. oberfeldwebel

oberfeldwebel Active Member

A photo would indeed be necessary for accurate diagnosis. Neem oil isn't a bad idea (used in moderation) as a preventative. I cringe when people start talking of using chemical pesticides. Some orchids are indeed deciduous, even in a tropical environment, and you indicate that the leaves are dying back. Are the bulbs doing the same or are they remaining a healthy green? In such a warm humid environment as Mumbai my first instinct would be a bacterial problem (assuming for the moment that there IS a problem) most likely affecting the roots. This is likely caused by degraded potting media contributing to a stagnate environment around the roots. So check the roots. They should either be a healthy green or semi-glossy white with green growth tips. If they're muddy brown or black then you've got a rot problem. The solution to this is to clear out all of the existing media and all of the unhealthy roots and repot with new media. If the orchid is epiphytic make sure #1 the new media is coarse enough to allow the roots to breath freely, these roots NEED open air circulation, #2 the new media can stand up to the environment. I'd use something like coarse cypress mulch that won't rot or break down under the aggressive heat and humidity. You might also think about investing in some Physan. Also keep in mind that most orchids are shade plants. This could very simply be a case of sunburn. ***Again It All Hinges On The Actual Problem. We Really Need That Photo To Get An Accurate Idea Of What's Going On With Your Plant***

5. DirOCRC

DirOCRC Member

Look at its roots