Starting grapes in aeroponic setup?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by HydroGrapes, Dec 26, 2010.

1. HydroGrapes

HydroGrapes Member

Hi i am wondering if this is a feasible idea. Would it be possible to grow 100 grape vine cuttings in an aeroponic style setup for 6-10 months, then transplant into a vineyard?

The reasoning behind it, is that we could start cuttings now, and when the acreage purcahse gets finalized we will have a "jump start" on the growing process, since it takes a long time to produce harvest from grapes.

So while we are leveling the land, installing trellis, etc, we have cuttings in vegetative state that can be transplanted everytime.

My design would be an aero cloner type setup, with a cutting in each hole. the roots would be suspended in the aerated nutrient solution. lighting would be several 4 foot t5 CFL bulbs.

What do you guys think?

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

I see no reason why this wouldn't work so long as you took reasonable care to harden off the plants before setting them out. There might be a time where it would be better to transfer them to pots or heel them into sand as an intermediate stage. If you end up choosing pots, an air pruning style would probably be best. Keep in mind that the only "jump start" will come from a robust root structure that survives the final transplant.

Ralph