un healthy plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by mikebnew2this, Dec 23, 2010.

1. mikebnew2this

mikebnew2this Member

what house plants are unhealthy to have in the bedroom?

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Toxic sap:
    Nicotiana
    Brugmansia
    Euphorbia

3. paion

paion Active Member 10 Years

But that shouldn't matter unless you bring them into bed... Unless you've got allergies I can't really think of anything that'd be unhealthy, but I'd avoid strong smelling plants and things that produce a lot of pollen.

4. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Many allergies are triggered by fungus and mold in soil. Be sure that your plants are growing in good clean media---eliminate soggy soil and/or standing water.

Welcome to the Forum!

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Welcome - I'd second the scented Brugmansias as plants that shouldn't really be in the bedroom - the odour is soporific, and in close confines it can be dangerous.

6. photopro

photopro Well-Known Member

Re: unhealthy plants

Just to follow up on Beth's post. Soporific indicates a drug or plant part that tends to induce drowsiness, a state of hallucination or sleep. The flowers of species such as Brugmansia trees (Angel Trumpet), which are found naturally from the Pacific slope of Colombia, through Peru and portions of Chile, contain a hallucination known as Scopolamine that is used as a component in medical therapy as well as a chemical agent known to cause powerful hallucinations.

About 15 years ago Dade County Florida considered banning the growth of Brugmansia trees since kids were using the flowers to create a dangerous "soup" that is more than capable of killing. They decided rather than to ban them (since there were so many) to just try to inform the public of the dangers of teenagers using the home made drug. I have a botanist friend in Australia that specializes in the study and growth of these plants.

Besides, they make lousy house plant since they need full sunlight to bloom.

Steve

Attached Files: