3d Computer generated Rainforest Plants

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Naima, Apr 28, 2010.

1. anthrome

anthrome Active Member

California, Greece, Italy, Mexico, Gabon, Vietnam
    Kapok can have a distinct lateral branching structure. Let me see if I can find a photo to upload for you.

2. anthrome

anthrome Active Member

Here's a link with a photo of an old Kapok, showing the distinctive branching habit. The seeds and cotton-like material surrounding the seeds have many traditional uses.

3. anthrome

anthrome Active Member

4. Naima

Naima Active Member

5. Naima

Naima Active Member

Hello does anyone has some banana leaves pictures? Mostly I woul dneed the dried and rotten leaves pending from the trunk :) ...

6. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I do, but you'll have to wait until about Friday, when I get my computer back from the shop (it died a couple of weeks ago, and the part it needed has only just cleared customs here). I've got plenty of that type of shot, though.

7. Naima

Naima Active Member

Thankyou , in meanwhile I had to reconstruct the leaves form the few pictures I have found online , if you judge this result acceptable and realistic I may be done with it and go make fixing on it and variations eventually .....

Here is what is probably one of the last plants I have to make , after this I will have to make fixing , lods some cliff stuff and buildings ... but for now I was working on a new Musa Paradisiaca ( banano tree) ....

Here is the Wip what you think ? Shape , color , texture , maps etc? As usual all comments and constructive criticism is very welcome....

[​IMG]

low and high specs tests....

8. lorax

That's pretty close. Check out the photos below - the stem is never that green at the base when the plant is mature, and there's also a greater variation in the live vs. dead leaves - more droop, and the canopy is fuller.

Attached Files:

9. Naima

Naima Active Member

Thankyou , ok SO I add more leaves to the top , or enlarge the actualleaves to make more dense?

I will fix the trunk texture so I can use the bottom for older and the top for younger ...

and add some mid level / Dry/green leaves in middle canopy ...

Here is something I did befoure ...

[​IMG]

Dicksonia tree fern , the same texture holds room for other two types of ground ferns and eventual bromeliad fern...

then some large leaves bush and thin leaves varied ...

The last plants I need to make are :

fan palm
    Cycas plant
    Chamaedorea bush
    some scattered types of flower bushes and bromeliads

Then I shoudl be done with al the plants and I will just focus on fix details , increase variations of models , make lods etc...
    Unless someone can suggest some other interesting type of plants I may add...

Apart those I also have on plan eventually but later on after a first release for the swampy areas some mangroove and for the ruins part large rooted banyans ...
    but those are in other areas of the Island.

Then I need to make some minor ground plants like small leaves roots and stones , nothing that will take extra textures tough

10. lorax

More leaves, I think - most banana plants have at least 10-15 active to dying leaves at any given time, and if they're simply left alone, the dead leaves are persistent in the way you've shown them. You might also want to look into making the leaves a bit broader than you're showing them at the moment - very few cultivars and virtually no wild species have such narrow leaves.

The Dicksonias look great, though!

11. Naima

Naima Active Member

Ok thankyou , I willenlarge and ncrease the leaves , btw in meanwhile do you have a Gunnera Manicata leaf picture ? I would need something that shows the leaf in ints whole from top and not from a side or angled view , I cant find any good pic online ...

12. Naima

Naima Active Member

How About now?

I grayened the bottom part of the trunk , Enlarged a bit the leaves and added 4 more leaves more or less... I also decreased the light effect on the leaves and grayened them a bit more , enlightened a bit more the green leaves and added a Subsurfacescattering texture ...

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5172/bananotree.jpg

13. lorax

Let me check my archives for Gunnera. If I don't have a good picture right now, I'm heading to Mindo next week and can get one then. I'll look for both mature and immature foliage, since the young leaves are quite different in look and colour from the adults.

Your banana tree is looking much better!

Yup, all I have is a side shot for Gunnera; I've attached it and I'll be on the lookout for top shots of the entire leaf next week.

I've also attached the monkey shots I was promising earlier - they're not Capuchins, they're Squirrels, but the body type, size, and gesture is the same. Only the colour is different.

Attached Files:

14. Naima

Naima Active Member

Hello thanks a lot , unfortunately the monkey pics aren't much of help since I would need a frontal face picture and a side face picture for a better shaping , anyway is not much a 'problem since for now I am busy making the last plants and last assets details , also I have to make the monkey a more active animal than the others I did so far wich are mostly a decoration , monkeys instead will have to jump and climb around to be credible ...

Lastly I would like if possible to have 2 or 3 plants with flowers to add to my pool of plants , something that grows wild in the jungle ....
    I woudl avoid bromeliads couse for them I am making a special separate thing , also the water lily stuff I guess are present also in the rainforest so I will also make a separate thing for waterplants .....

SO I will just need the gunnera leaf pics and if possible , the thing that so far caused me the most problems is grass , I never been able yet to make a realistic grass couse of lack of decent pictures ..... and I wonder if you have an idea of a grass type that may grow in jungles and tropical areas...

I think that possibly there coul dbe 4 types ....

beach grass bush , swamp grass , field grass and jungle tall grass .... even a few leaves of them but no shadowing and no big bunches of them on a lear background will be very helpfull , but even the naming and the pictures could be a step foward .... Thanks a lot and without all your help this project would still be at the beginning ... :)

15. lorax

I keep telling you, grass as you're used to it doesn't feature in jungles except where they've been disturbed by human hands.... There simply isn't enough light for it to grow in true jungle understory. Bamboo is more the speed for jungle grasses, and if you decide you want to do that, I do have photos with no shadow of the larger varieties, both culms and leaves.

I will, however, get you some field grass and swamp grass photos while I'm in Mindo - those are both things that grow there.

I'll also take a look through my jungle flowers series. I'm reasonably sure I've got the kind of shots you'd need for Fuchsias....

16. Naima

Naima Active Member

yeh sorry for jungle grass I meant areas where there aren't trees like open holes in the jungle or some hilltops etc...

17. Naima

Naima Active Member

18. lorax

Maybe Teak or another of the old-world tropical hardwoods in the Mahogany family. Many of them have that same silhouette and white bark.

19. Naima

Naima Active Member

would those fit in the rainforest? btw about the gunnera any news? :) ....

20. lorax

Yes, they'd definitely fit in your forest. I've been delayed on the jungle front, but I will keep my eyes open. The botanical gardens here may have some growing.

21. Naima

Naima Active Member

btw what kind of leaves and bark do have those moghany treees? so I coudl reconstruct if they are among lanceolate oval or star , or need something different?

22. lorax

Leaves are oblong-lanceolate, and bark is fairly smooth with some fissuring towards the bottom of the tree. They've also got huge buttress roots, sort of like the Kapoks do.

23. Naima

Naima Active Member

ok so I can reuse the lanceolate leaves I did ... any pic of the bark and a name to give to this kind of moghany?

24. lorax

Not from me - that's old-world tropics. Do a search on Dipterocarpus, Shorea, and Dipterocarp Timbers and you'll probably find what you're looking for, though.

25. Naima

Naima Active Member

Ah ok Africa or Asia? ....