ground cover wanted

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by InchHigh, Nov 7, 2010.

1. InchHigh

InchHigh Member

I'm in North Vancouver, BC, and I'm looking for some ground cover. I have several places that are about 6 by 6 feet. I'm looking for something that grows and spreads fast, will stay green all year, including being covered with snow, and hampers weed growth. I don't want something thats invasive, climbing, and chokes the life out of the other plants -- like Bindweed does. I've got too much of that already. But most of all, I need something that skunks and squirrels won't dig it up.

Anyone got any suggestions, epecifically for native and local plants?

Thanks.

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Recommend my standby, Pachysandra. Stays green and takes rough weather (e.g., buried under a foot of snow and ice for months) in its stride. Squirrels seem to have no interest in it, and it does not climb up everything near it. If it thrives, you may have to thin out the growth once in a while, but that's about it. Also makes nice flowers in spring.

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

For shady locations I have had great success with ajuga reptans (Bugle) which is low, has nice glossy dark purpley-green leaves and nice spikes of blue flowers in spring. It is not as leathery evergreen as pachysandra but it does stay pretty much green all year here in SW BC. It fills in quickly and smothers other weeds, but isn't hard to control and doesn't seem to self seed. I've got lots of squirels in my yard but they have never damaged this planting.
    If you want to try it I have the equivalent of about 2 whole flats worth to give away, as I've cleaned out an area to have some drain tile work done. You can send me a private message if you want it.

4. InchHigh

InchHigh Member

I looked at google images for pachysandra and ajuga reptans. Wow, they're both nice. The pachysandra looks like it gives you a little boxed hedge. I like that. I could put that between by rhodies. I forgot to mention in my post, half of my area is for the shady side, so the ajuga reptans would be perfect for that.

5. davelll

davelll Member

small shrubby groundcovers include vaccinium vitas- idea, (lignonberry) and Pachistima canbyii (Oregon Boxwood, both very well behaved and easily controlled, as well as being lovely

6. InchHigh

InchHigh Member

the lignonberry looks interesting. Something to think about.

As for the boxwood, no thanks. I had a huge boxwood hedge, and it was hard to look after. It got a disease, so I had to take it out. It was very hard wood. I broke several saws. So, never again.

7. davelll

davelll Member

look up the botanical name, Pachistima canbyii is not really a boxwood (Buxus) the common name is just like a nick name, it's really a very well behaved species, and only about 10 inches after many years