British Columbia: Looking for red wrigglers

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by SleeplessInSurrey, Dec 2, 2010.

1. SleeplessInSurrey

SleeplessInSurrey Member

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone who might want to sell me a few red wriggler worms. I'm not looking for terribly much, just enough to get myself going, and I want to try them first. Anyone local to say, Surrey?

Thanks!

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

If you have a compost pile on the ground red wrigglers will probably appear without any help. At least that was my experience in Burnaby.

3. SleeplessInSurrey

SleeplessInSurrey Member

hmmm, im on a lot without a compost pile, maybe i'll have a look around the garden beds. I just finished making the soil/shredded paper bedding, so I have some time while the bedding develops bacterial culture.

I also mixed some of the dead/dying plant with the bedding mix, then they'll have something to eat when they get put in.

4. Just Curious

Just Curious Active Member

Craigslist - Farm/Garden
    Advertised there about once a week. Usually about $10 per pound.

5. Susan Jensen

Susan Jensen Member

If you still need a red wriggler worm source in Surrey, I have some. The pricing above I think is out of date -- on Craigslist they're $40 per pound. (Search red "wiggler" or "wriggler". )

I think that more people will be trying worm composting with the changes in the city's organic garbage pickup rules that started in October 2012. My website is here:
    http://surreycompostingworms.wordpress.com/

6. WesternWilson

WesternWilson Active Member 10 Years

You will find them in any compost pile...they do not like garden conditions so you will not likely see them anywhere else. If you know someone with a compost bin, get out a hand spade and go looking! Although it is getting a bit cold now for that.

FWIW, unless you are an apartment dweller or for some reason have no yard access at all, just set up a compost bin or two. The worms bins take management that is unnecessary if you can set up a compost pile outside, which is essentially a worm bin that manages itself.