Planting wedding flowers-What blooms in June/July?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by emandeli, Nov 2, 2010.

1. emandeli

emandeli Member

We are planting our very country relaxed wedding next June (end of) . We are hoping to use some informal looking flower arrangements and hope to plant a variety of plants on our property (new here) to offset some of the cost, and for the fun. We are on Vancouver Island.

We are looking for flowers in any colour that will be good to use for cut flowers. I would prefer pinks, purples, red, etc vs yellow but like some yellow or orange perhaps. We will be using mason jars, tea cups, little vases and tins for the vases. Also might be suitable for some small potted plants on the tables. Would sweet peas be suitable for smaller arrangements?

Any recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks!

2. Denise Ellis

Denise Ellis Member

Vancouver Island is more than one USDA zone. Do you know what zone you are in? Where are you located? It will affect the choice of plants.

3. emandeli

emandeli Member

Oh yikes! I thought I was....I can't quite remember. I think it was in my avatar listing. I will have to check. I am near Ladysmith BC. A little bit coastal but not overly cold here.

4. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

Hello,
    Should be a fun project and something to look forward to.
    You would be relatively in the same zone as we are. If the wedding is next June 2011,
    you might need to choose some perennials and put in quite a few different annuals as the perennials may not have enough time to grow large enough to give you flowers for both the garden and decoration. Unless you can purchased large containers sizes to give you bigger plants for more flowers.
    Sorry, we are in Zone 7b here. Will give some of my thoughts to plants, just wanted to have an idea.

5. emandeli

emandeli Member

Thank you so much. Yes, we are not far from Nanoose and are more towards Yellowpoint/Cedar area. Thanks for the tips! I look forward to this little research project! LOL.

Also, we live in a house with BIG stouth facing windows that get LOTS of light, warms up quick. I imagine we can grow some things indoors in the spring as well near our windows.

6. Charles Richard

Charles Richard Active Member 10 Years

emandeli,
    Yes, you can save some money starting your own aswell. I find that starting our own that I can get some of the varieties that are either hard to find or just not available.
    Get yourself a heating mat so that you can start some seeds in the spring.
    Watch for some of the garden sales in your area in the spring. Also, the Rhododendron society (Probably Duncan or Nanaimo) have spring garden sales and always have so many different plants for sale (not just Rhodo's).
    Enjoy your planning and atleast it will be special for a special day, as you create it.
    Try some of the dwarf dahia's, they start easy and if started early enough will bloom all summer and into the late fall. Excellent cut flowers and very heavy producers.

7. emandeli

emandeli Member

Thank you!! I really appreciate it. I love dahlias so the dwarf ones would be perfect-perhaps in little pots (if that works) for the tables. I will put the plant/garden sales on my list of to dos!