Snake plant or Dracaena Marginata?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bailey570, Nov 12, 2010.

1. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

i was at walmart today picking up paint and some other home improvement items when i decided to look at the plants in the back. they have 3 very nice snake plants (about 2 1/2 feet tall), and even more nice Dragon trees. the question is which one to get. we have 5 cats. yes 5. does anyone know if maybe they would like the Dracaena Marginata a bit to much? anyone have experience with cats around this plant? also, i noticed that 2 of the snake plants had a whitish coloring around the parameter of the leaves (like a snake, duh.lololo), and one was primarily dark green. if the plant is dark green, will that be it's color pattern for life, or can it develope the white yellow later or under certain conditions. i guess maybe the color of the snake plant to get would just be personal preference? i would like to get them both, but they are a good size, and i'm not sure if the snake plant likes direct sun in the summer, but would the dragon tree? i'm confused, cause i really want both, but i would like some input from you guys on what you would do, cause i am still a bit new to this. my croton and aloe vera are thriving right now. i finally have the conditions nailed for both plants as we head into sub-zero winter time. should i just get both? they're only $8.00 each. please help

2. thanrose

thanrose Active Member 10 Years

The snake plant is a Sansevieria spp. The yellow or white margin will only be on the plants that already have it. If you were to take a cutting of one of them in the future, the new plant growing from the cutting would not have the bordered leaves.

Cats will chew on both to the detriment of both plants and cats. Grow some oat grass or wheat grass or catnip to keep them busy. Sometimes just a flat of whatever grass grows in your lawn will keep them happy.

Sansevieria spp. will grow in less light than Dracaena marginata. Both can do okay indoors, and both do better with part shade outdoors in more tropical areas.

3. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Oh boy, do cats ever like Dracaena. Back when I had 2 cats and 1 large D. (about 5 feet tall) I had to install wire fencing IN the pot to keep the feline element from: 1. using the 'trunks' of the plant as scratching posts; 2. using the pot as a litter box; 3. munching the lower leaves down to frayed stubs.

Have one big old Sansevieria that they pretty much left alone, due to the fact that the plant was either residing on my semi-shady back patio (indoor cats) or downstairs in my over-the-winter plant room. My S. is at leat 20 years old and blooms for me every summer---beautiful white flowers with a lovely delicate fragrance.

Eight bucks apiece? Go for it!

4. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

yes $8.00 a piece! i bought both of them today, and they will stay in our bedroom. the cats are not allowed in there, and there is a great wide window for them that gets sun for at least 6 hours. i guess they were so inexpensive, because they wanted to get rid of them. all the other plants ( pothos/palm...ect) were at least $11.00 on clearance. these seemed like a fantastic deal, and they were. they are both very nice specimens. large and healthy. i think there are two dragon trees in the one pot ( just about sure of it. why else would there be two stems of the same large size). i will wait till spring to separate them though so they are not stressed too much, and have time to acclimate to their new conditions. i heard if you buy multiple plants in one container to keep them together for the first year and then separate. i believe there are two snake plants as well (maybe one is a pup?). anyway, they both feel like they may be a bit pot bound, but i will not know for sure until tomorrow when i take them out of the containers. it's surely not uncommon to purchase a pot bound plant. a lot are sold that way as you may know. if there are 2 snake plants, will separate them next spring as well. i wish i had my brothers camera to post pics cause they are so nice. i'll see if i can take some pics in the near future. thanks for all the help, and i'm sure i might have some questions with them down the line, so i will post then. thanks again. later

5. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Be sure to closely check out both plants for any unwanted guests (scale, mealy bugs, etc.) and good drainage of their soil. ---You undoubtedly take these precautions already, but they bear repeating.

Also...be sure that the bedroom door gets firmly closed! The cats will be awaiting the moment of opportunity. :-)

Congrats on your new plants---may they live long and prosper!

6. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

i will check them vigorously for any disturbance. they seem fine for now. my new question refers to there being two of each plant in each container. i know it is not growing season, but could i separate them into individual containers now? or should i wait a bit so they can acclimate to their new environment. if i should wait, how long? a month or till spring (growing season)? how long should it take them to acclimate, and once they do, could i not separate them once they are acclimated (winter time, indoors) if i'm careful about it? please speak your opinions. thanks in advance