British Columbia: Douglas fir damage

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by boeing, Nov 9, 2010.

1. boeing

boeing Member

Hello.. I have many large douglas fir trees in my yard (approx. 150ft tall 4ft wide trunk) and during some skimming with an excavator the fellow mistakenly pulled off two surface roots (8in in diameter). I realize this is a very large mature tree, but would this have an effect on the tree? I assume the root structure must be quite extensive, so I'm hoping structurally it's ok, but would this damage effect the feeding/watering a lot? Does the Fir have a middle root that goes down into the ground? Thanks for any info..

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

Hmm? I'm not going to say anything much about any of that. If it were me, I would be finding a highly regarded, qualified arborist PDQ. I would ask for a copy of his liability insurance policy, WCB number & possibly business license. I would request a written report & act promptly on his recommendations.

I would also be contacting my insurance company to make them aware of the incident & possibly alerting my lawyer.

That's a lot of timber up in the air there. I am assuming you are in a suburban or urban area. If there are no houses, structures, vehicles or utility lines in range, it doesnt matter from the liability angle as much & someone (other than me) may answer your questions.

Your post took me back to my property management career! Take care, please.

gb.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, tearing off two big roots on one tree could produce problems. But perhaps the main question is what other effects did running the tractor through the root zones of the trees have? For example, one of the major causes of difficulties for trees retained on developed sites is soil compaction.

4. boeing

boeing Member

The top layer of sod was removed (and will be replaced), and no compacting was done so I'm not concerned about the other trees. It was just this one in question with the damaged roots. I suppose calling an arborist would be the best, however the soil was put back in place and the roots taken away. I was just looking for someone's opinion of the possible effect on the tree, and hoping that pulling two 8 inch roots would not effect it that much. Thanks

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

"mistakenly pulled off two surface roots (8in in diameter)"? Was the operator asleep while excavating?!!

Even if you decide that there is little chance of injury or damage, being wrong could become expensive, at worst: tragic. The least I would recommend would be to advise him in writing that you will be holding him responsible for any consequent damage. Your problem will be that if anybody else is damaged or injured, they will surely be holding you responsible as the proprerty owner. As glass brain said, there's a "lot of timber up in the air there", at least 15 tonnes by my estimate.

I have some similarly large Doug Firs on my property and I know for a fact that the ground will move very noticeably (frighteningly so) 20 to 30 feet out from the trunks in a big wind event.

Although Douglas-fir is potentially a deep-rooting species, its root morphology varies according to the nature of the soil. In the absence of obstructions, Douglas-fir initially forms a tap root that grows rapidly during the first few years. In deep soils (69 to 135 cm, 27 to 53 in), it was found that tap roots grew to about 50 percent of their final depth in 3 to 5 years, and to 90 percent in 6 to 8 years; however, boulders or bedrock close to the soil surface result in quick proliferation of the original tap root. Platelike root systems develop when Douglas-fir grows in shallow soils or soils with a high water table. http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_1/pseudotsuga/menziesii.htm

Ralph

6. Ron B

Shallow roots are prevalent in this glaciated region. Apparently this has little to do with effective anchorage as otherwise most trees would be blowing over all the time.

7. ryansenechal

ryansenechal Active Member

I'd advise you do that. There's lots of experience on this forum, but without physically examining the tree and root zone and surrounding targets, their collective speculation is... speculation.

8. Ron B

Yes, that is a given - there is no reliable blanket assurance (of there being no problem potential) available from anyone who knows only that two 8" roots were torn away.