Seeking Transparent apples in New Jersey area

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Athomes, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Athomes

Athomes Member

I am interested in finding Yellow Transparent apples by the bushel when in season.

My mother used to make the best applesauce from these apples, but we cannot find them anymore.

Can anyone please help?

I am in NJ so eastern PA, NY state, or NJ would be great but I'd be willing to have them shipped if necessary.

Thanks in advance.

2. vitog

vitog Contributor 10 Years

I don't know where to get these apples in your area, but I know that they are out of season pretty much everywhere in North America. They are one of the earliest ripening apples, probably ripening in June in your area. I grow them in southwestern Canada; and they ripen in July here. They do not keep well, and they are not considered a commercial apple; so your best bet for finding them is a farmer's market when they are in season.

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

Transparent apples have become rarer, in most orchards. They have been superseeded ( pun intended) by the LODI apple. The Lodi has much the same characteristics and is more common.

4. Athomes

Athomes Member

Thanks for the responses Vitog and Dunc - I have phoned or emailed every orchard in NJ and no one grows transparent or Lodi and visited numerous farm markets in my area in late June to ask if they had them - none did - that is the reason for me reaching out on this forum.

Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.