overwintering aloe vera

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by bailey570, Nov 2, 2010.

1. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

i've searched everywhere for info on this, but could not find anything. i have a $4.00 (walmart) aloe vera with the white spots on the leaves (that gives an idea of the species i think). is this a "winter grower", and should be watered in the winter? i also heard that you are not supposed to water aloes in the summer? is this true? i watered mine for at least half the summer, and did not have any problems, but i did have to cut back on the water (likes to be dried out for awhile). the plant will be inside for winter, because it drops below freezing here. i will try to get it the best sun possible, but i'm unsure about watering in the winter vs watering in the summer. oh yea, aloes can take a bit of cold right? isn't there an aloe institute online? i lost the link for it. THANKS! P.S. i thought the cacti/succulent forum was shut down as of february of this year, but i just saw a post on there from september of this year, so i don't know. i thought it was closed, so that's why i posted here. sorry

2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

3. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

thanks. that's good info there, and it looks just like mine color wise, but i don't know if the leaves will become as fat as it matures. they are all fairly skinny right now. i will do a search for that aloe vera institute now. i bet they have some good stuff.

4. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

the "Institute of Aloe Studies" was not much of a help either. so the different species of aloe require different conditions, i would imagine, due to there different climates and locations. i know that my aloe is Aloe Vera, so do the different species of Aloe Vera require much different conditions. i'm really only trying to figure out best light and water conditions for this plant during the winter, and for the summer. is direct sunlight bad? thank you

5. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

6. bailey570

bailey570 Active Member

great link. thanks