Acer shirasawanum 'Jordan'

Discussion in 'Maple Photo Gallery' started by Gomero, May 5, 2007.

1. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

My 'Jordan' does not have the intense yellow color either. Its pretty much a green tree. I didn't see it with spring coloration, so I can't speak for its overall color display. So far A.p. 'Summer Gold' seems to display a lot more yellow than 'Jordan'. Both are new to me, however, so I have to reserve judgement til I've had them longer.

2. alex66

alex66 Rising Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

i have one return,in palmatum Summer Gold ,in shade position,i have another two S .gold in full sun the yellow color remain..abotu Jordan is'nt not good for full sun exp. ,( in usda 9 b)..btw after two season yellow leaves reamain

3. David81

David81 Member

beautiful autumn colors

Attached Files:

4. alex66

bellissimo!! very beautiful!!

5. kbguess

kbguess Rising Contributor 10 Years

My second spring with this tree. It was leafed out last year when I got it. It has colored up nicely this spring.

cc10c343-1.jpg

6. amazingmaples

amazingmaples Well-Known Member 10 Years

I just got this one year

Attached Files:

7. iwaymark

iwaymark Member

Beautiful shots. Thank you for sharing them. My Acer looks about the same right now. It survived the winter in my garage. I was thrilled to see my experiment work out so well.

8. amazingmaples

here is the same tree as above in august. Looks a lot like Aurem but some sight differences in color.

Attached Files:

9. amazingmaples

Here is the spring color for 2012. I find the tree is be a much more yellow tree than Aureum. It is pretty but I would favor Aureum over it. That is just my opinion.In my dealings with providing trees for other peoples garden I am always asked to choose between trees so it is very common for me to made chooses between similar trees. Jordan is a very nice tree with wonderful spring color.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  10. Kaitain4

Kaitain4 Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

I rather like the coloration on Jordan. I would not compare the spring color to Aureum, as Jordan goes through definite color-change phases and Aureum largely remains the same, consistant lime color. I love them both!

11. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

I'm yet to witness the spring color on my new Jordan but the fall colors were a nice surprise. Unlike any of my others, it had yellow and red but no inbetween, even on the same leaf. Pretty cool. I can't wait to see it in the spring.

Attached Files:

12. alex66

amazing!

13. rufretic

rufretic Active Member

Your tree in post #2 is so beautiful, it's the reason I got this tree! So thank you :-)

14. Acerholic

Acerholic Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator VCBF Cherry Scout Maple Society

In my garden Jordan is the most delicate of all my Shirasawanum's. I have it planted in a lot of afternoon shade to give it as much protection as possible. It easily burns and drops it's leaves far to early to appreciate the lovely Autumn colours IMO.
    In early Spring the bright yellow just glows and is almost dazzling as you can see in my first photo.
    I have it placed next to Geisha gone wild as the contrast is wonderful. Photo 2.
    Then in the heat of Summer in photo 3 you can see it starting to struggle a little.

Attached Files:

15. alex66

Jordan is easy to dead in my zone (USDA 9 b) :(

16. Acerholic

Good evening @alex66, agreed it would not do well in anything higher than zone 8. Not recommended for Rome.

17. Acerholic

Here is my Jordan today (July 6th 2020) after 4 days of drying strong winds, as can be seen it does not fare well in these conditions compared to other Shirasawanum's. Something to consider if you are thinking of adding this one to a collection.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  18. Acerholic

July 23rd 2020, the continuing saga of my Jordan, well as you can see the leaves are now getting ready to curl and fall, but the good news, there are buds swelling at the nodes of the scorched leaves.
    I will update when these form over the next few weeks. They will not be as large, but as long as the heat keeps off them they should be OK.

Attached Files:

Mani likes this.
  19. Acerholic

27th July 2020, after the wind damage in last photos, my Jordan has produced some new leaves. Not so yellow now, but recovering none the less.

Attached Files:

20. ROEBUK

ROEBUK Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

D, just like yourself my jordan is just nicely starting to get new leaf from scorching earlier this year, looks like this is going to be a good bold red this fall looking at the outsides of the leaf.

Attached Files:

Acerholic likes this.
  21. Acerholic

@ROEBUK, fingers crossed M. Hope the 30° C this week doesn't knock it back again, as that will be it for this year.

22. Acerholic

4th August 2020 and the heat has hit again on the new growth, but I'm getting some pretty shades of yellow/ green on the new leaves.

Attached Files:

23. Acerholic

9th August 2020, record breaking temperatures and this is how my Jordan has coped. As can be seen, not too well. But I think it's important to share this with people.

Attached Files:

24. Acerholic

August 15th 2020, the photo diary continues as promissed. Everything apart from just a few have held up very well. The heavy rain over the past couple of days has helped a lot. I think we will get a reasonable Autumn show this year fingers crossed.
    My Jordan started to come back, but then the intense heat returned and so did the leaf scorch. But I am making certain I post the bad as well as the good.
    I do have a little bit of new growth to be thankful for. Such a delicate Shirasawanum even in a lot of shade.

Attached Files:

25. Acerholic

August 24th 2020 and I am keeping the photo diary going the best I can. So much rain and tomorrow 70mph winds forecast. Will the leaves be there for October!!!??
    Success at last, my Jordan has recovered nicely. So pleased!!

Attached Files: