Identification: Thorny wild shrub in photo - identity?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by HughWirch, Nov 1, 2010.

1. HughWirch

HughWirch Member

What is the plant, a small branch pictured in the attached photo? Not sure this is the right forum, but can't post to the plant identification forum.

Found it growing on our 2.5 acres in Sooke Hills on Vancouver Island, it appears to be a single plant with no others on the lot. Haven't been able to find it in several plant identification books.

It's about five foot high, somewhat sparse spindly shrub with wood branches. The leaves are accompanied by sharp, solid thorns, some of which are visible in the photo.

thanks,
    Hugh.

Attached Files:

2. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Looks like some type of Hawthorn (Crataegus).

3. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

Common Hawthorn Crataegus monogyna.

4. HughWirch

HughWirch Member

Thanks for the quick responses, it does indeed appear to fit the photos of Hawthorn. I'll check for flowers in the Spring, and when the rains let up I will take a closer look for berries, although there didn't appear to be any obvious ones on first look. It's buried in a patch of salmonberry shrubs, so not easy to get to.

Hugh.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Common hawthorn is a common woody weed in this region. Many specimens are heavily endowed with mature red fruits at this time here in the Seattle area.

An example I noticed and measured on a private property in Skagit County, WA became listed as a National Champion by American Forests for some years. I do not know its current status.