Pruning Rhus

Discussion in 'Woody Plants' started by gerryca, Feb 21, 2007.

1. gerryca

gerryca Member

Re: Rhus Staghorn Sumac

Hi,
    Does someone know about pruning Rhus Staghorn Sumac? Mine still has the big red "fruits" and I am wondering if I should trim them off and cut those branches back a few inches now that it is February in
    Zone 6 British Columbia?

2. chimera

chimera Well-Known Member 10 Years

Have seen , after hard pruning, where they can start sending up many root suckers, which gets to be a problem.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Yes, I would prune very little if you don't have a specific reason to. The old, spent brownish fruits can be homely; I might trim those off, without cutting back the branches.

4. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

We had one for 30 years and only did a little bit of light thinning, but rarely any top growth removal.

5. gerryca

gerryca Member

Thank you, M.D.Vaden, Ron B, Chimera, Daniel. I think I'll just leave the "fruits" on, they are quite interesting in the winter anyway, and I sure don't want more suckers!

6. brianmbiggs

brianmbiggs Member

Do those red "fruits" have to come off before new ones will grow? (Now that it is almost April) If I leave them will the new ones come in? We moved here in August so I have not gone a full year with this tree. Thanks.

7. M. D. Vaden

M. D. Vaden Active Member 10 Years

The fruits as you called them, can grow each year without removal of the last year's, if that's what you meant.

: - )

8. brianmbiggs

brianmbiggs Member

Thank you. Yes that's what I meant. There are several on the tree and I'm thankful they can stay on. I was worried they might interfere with the coming new growth.

9. blackfisher2004

blackfisher2004 Member

The fruit of this tree can be used to make tea, and apparently has a lemon taste to it. I, my self, haven't yet tried this but I have seen them harvested for this purpose.