Nothern acer supprice!

Discussion in 'Maples' started by zonebreaker, Oct 25, 2010.

1. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

Yesterday i was guided on a tour at our local arboretum, by a lady who previusly was in charge of the arboretum.
    She had collected a lot of speices in the far east russia and at chang bang san area(spelling unsecure).
    Now she works at a research center situaded at least 200 km north of me. They study plants and their hardiness.
    They have a small research growing area that she showed me at the arboretum.
    There was a beutiful specimen of Acer ukurunduense with no damages at all after previus bad winter.
    Hight around 3 m and shoots around 30-40 cm. Grown from collected seed.
    A feeling i recognize came over me, I MUST HAVE....

One more interesting acer that survives fine here are Acer tschonoskii "rupripes" mine is new this year.
    I spotted it when i was helping out at the local nursery this autum ,and the owner had tested it for 3 years. A little dieback on tops, but as said last vinter was hard.

2. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Very interesting information zonebreaker, you are a very important contributor to our understanding of maples growing in extreme conditions. Do you know if they have a weather station at the research center?, what is the city closest to it?

Keep the good work!

Gomero

3. zonebreaker

zonebreaker Active Member

I dont know about the weather station ,but i think they have one. The research center is located in Öjebyn, close to The town Piteå.
    I´ll do!

Pebblelake