"Danto" Wood

Discussion in 'Plants: Identification' started by KPlante, Oct 23, 2010.

1. KPlante

KPlante Member

Howdy Folks,

This question does have botanical roots (no pun intended).
    I have recently come across a piece of wood that was given to me at a lumber yard where I buy all my lumber (I'm a woodworker). The name of the wood is "Danto".
    I can find next to nothing in regards to the history and use of the wood.
    The most I can find on the web is the scientific name of "Roupala Montana" but that's all. Other then it is said to be native of the Costa Rican area.
    I've gone as far as emailing a saw mill in Costa Rica for information only to hear they have none.
    Attached is a picture of the Danto wood (dark grain) next to a piece of Poplar wood (light grain).
    Any information (use related or not) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

K. Plante

Attached Files:

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

3. KPlante

KPlante Member

Thanks for the reply togata57,
    Here's a link to the Costa Rican area list of trees I was lucky enough to run across.
    It seems to be pretty specific but theres not much info:
    http://www.1-costaricalink.com/trees_species.htm#R

My main intent is to get the history of the wood so my wife can take the item I made with it (a Tongue Drum) to the class she teaches. She can gives them a little history lesson about the item and the wood.

Thanks again,

K. Plante

4. Junglekeeper

Junglekeeper Esteemed Contributor 10 Years

Has the tree been positively identified by the wood's grain? The 'Costa Rican' link refers to Roupala montana but a cursory search turned up the following (.pdf) documents which associate Danto with Vatairea lundellii:
    However the botanical names for Danto and Ramon are reversed in The Forest Products Conservation & Recycling Review -- October 1999.

The search also turned up an interesting site: Exotic Hardwood Lumber and Woodworkers Supplies - Wood Library. It allows searches by common or botanical name and has the option to display wood grains.

5. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

In Ecuador, the Danto we know is Vatairea lundellii also, and the colour and grain of the wood shown is consistent with it.

Togata, it wouldn't be Palo Santo wood - the original poster would have immediately said something about a strong and lasting perfume if it had been; also the grain is too loose and colour too dark for Palo Santo.

6. KPlante

KPlante Member

Thank you Lorax!!!
    Cross referencing the info you gave I found the wood also has a nickname of Bitterwood.
    While I was working on the project that I used the wood for, I happened to get some saw dust on my lip... very bitter indeed.
    If your interested here is a link to the project I built with the wood: http://lumberjocks.com/projects/38921

Thanks so much,

K. Plante

7. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

That's lovely! I've always found tongue drums to be a bit too hard to tune, so I stick to talking-style ones when I'm making drums.

And of course, if you come across other unidentified or oddly named Latin American wood samples, come on back! I do quite a bit of woodworking with tropical hardwoods, and recognize most of them. (My current projects are sculptural elements in Capuli [Prunus salicifolia] and Canelo [Drymis winterii].)