cephalotus winter care

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by chilipepper, Oct 20, 2010.

1. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

is it neccesary to reduce watering during winter.

2. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Do you mean the Australian pitcher plant, Cephalotus follicularis? I do not reduce water in the winter. I grow indoors under lights for the winter. In Hong Kong, you could keep yours outside all year, I presume. They can tollerate a light frost. I think they like to be moist at all times, so even if you do reduce water, they will still be wet. The issue you might have is heat. This species is native to southwest Australia where it doesn't get extremely hot, and cools off at night (compare that to your local weather to see if that is an issue). It seems they don't like to be very hot, but they do need to be wet, or at least moist, all the time.

3. chilipepper

actually, its quite hot in hong kong. winter temperatures rarely drop below 12 degrees celsius (in summer its usually above 30 degrees.). now what should I do?

I planned to keep my plant on a sunny windowsill in a room that is usually air conditioned. I just need to know what to do with it during winter when its supposed to rest.

4. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member

Have you done any searching one the subject? From what I can tell, they don't need a winter rest. http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Cephalotus.htm
    http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn/Species/v29n4p116_122.html#hummers (the bottom of the page is the Ceph).
    If you are keeping it inside, then you shouldn't have to worry at all. Your temperatures should be fine. Remember, though, that they don't like to be soaking wet, just moist all the time. If you sit it in a tray of water, make sure the water is gome before giving more. I water from the top and let it run through the pot. Hope that helps. Good luck!

5. chilipepper

will the plant die back in winter and produce non carnivorous leaves?

6. kevind76

kevind76 Active Member