Question on ponytail palm

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by Lscouras, May 26, 2010.

1. Lscouras

Lscouras Member

I have a ponytail palm about 7' tall. The top has died, however there are numerous sprouts all over the trunk. So apparently it is not dead. I have two questions... 1) I saw earlier posts about cutting off the top of the tree - so am wondering how far down it is recommend to cut back to and when is the best time to do it?... 2) can the sprouts that are coming out on the trunk be harvested to start new plants and if so what is the best method and time?

2. chilipepper

chilipepper Active Member

you should cut off the died part and the offsets should be kept on the mother until it is fully developed, when it starts to form a round bottom.

3. Lscouras

Lscouras Member

Cut off the top as it was dead, now there are a LOT of babies growing all over the remainder of the stalk/trunk. Will the babies get round bulbs at their base? If so, can they then be cut off and replanted?

4. chilipepper

sorry, but they won't really grow round, I meant to say you should wait till they are more developed, or else they would rot. then, you can slice them off and plant them.

5. Lscouras

Lscouras Member

What is the best medium to plant them in once cut off to promote root growth?
    Thanks!

6. chilipepper

I usually use normal potting soil for starting new growth. you should dip your cuttings in rooting hormone but if you don't have access to that, I heard that plain honey works too as it has lots of sugar and nutrients. (its actually not mandatory, just sticking the cutting in soil works.)