How to get our Brown Turkey Fig tree to bear fruit?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by n1kk1, Oct 18, 2010.

1. n1kk1

n1kk1 Member

My 3 yr old Brown turkey fig looks good, produced about 6 wonderful tasty figs in August, then "grew" about 30 - 40 new ones - but these didn't ripen.
    It's in a fairly hot location with almost full sun. I live on Vancouver Island. I watered it a lot through the summer because it was really dry, not sure if that's the right thing to do. Small amount of fertilizer, and fairly poor soil.
    How do I get it to start earlier? Or ripen faster?

2. HortLine

HortLine Active Member 10 Years

It seems that fruit production relates to stress. If a plant is not ripening fruit, it is likely that this plant is preserving itself instead of putting energy into producing fruit. So perhaps water is not penetrating the surface but running off and the plants are in fact suffering from dehydration. Or if water is not the problem then nutrient levels may be. Regular application of fertilizer is needed to ensure fruit growth progresses as expected. Excessive nitrogen fertilizer will only produce leaf growth. Figs prefer root restriction and a shallow area of soil and this will also influence fruiting.

3. woodschmoe

woodschmoe Active Member 10 Years

Your fig will produce (or to put it better: attempt to produce) two crops, the "Breba" crop (forms in the spring on previous year's wood...these would be the 6 figs you harvested) and the main crop (forms later, on current season's wood...these would be the 30-40 figs that didn't ripen). In the northwest, the second (main) crop rarely/never ripens before frost, so we're confined to harvesting the breba crop. In short: there's nothing wrong with your tree, based on the problem you describe, just the way it is with most figs here in the northwest (though I have read a couple of sources indicating that "Negronne" figs sometimes ripen the main crop in our climate...FYI, Canadian Tire in courtenay has some of these on sale at the moment).

4. n1kk1

n1kk1 Member

so is it better to remove the second crop to save the tree all that work for green figs? I really don't have room for another fig, this one is already in too small a space, but I was happy to see it likes being root bound, pruned and root pruned and otherwise abused... suitable for a space too small!