i have a kingsville dwarf boxwood and i need to know how put it in dormancy

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by dwarfyewjuniper, Dec 28, 2008.

1. dwarfyewjuniper

dwarfyewjuniper Member

The title explains it all, I'm kinda of new to Bonsai and this is my first winter with my kingsville dwarf boxwood, and for dormancy I think I'm suppose to put it in a cold place. Does that mean i can put it in my garage if it goes below freezing?

Also I'm wondering if a japanese dwarf juniper and a japanese yew bonsai are good for a beginner. Thanks alot

Aaron

2. Ttonka

Ttonka Member

I personally plan to store my bonsai in my garage this winter. The main thing to be aware of is just how cold it will get.

I'm in Utah, and my uncle who has been doing bonsai for years and lives here as well stores his outdoor bonsai in his garage (has a window though light isn't nearly as critical when they are dormant) with great success (his collection includes a few boxwoods). As you know, different species have different cold tolerances but Boxwoods are pretty hardy and at least as big of a problem from what I understand is for them not to get cold enough to to have a good dormancy.

On the junipers, they are such a hardy plant that I would definitely put them a on a beginner bonsai list. Yews can range a bit but aren't terribly difficult from what I understand. I'm trying both a yew and a juniper myself and I am a beginner that has simply read and researched the topic quite a bit, as well as asked my uncle a lot of questions.

3. yamasuri

yamasuri Member

Well "winterizing bonsai" was key point to discover "how" for me to re-start bonsai hobby. I did a lot bonsais when I lived in Europe. There winter wasnt that harsh. Since I moved to Montreal area it become really very important that my plants survive the winter seazon which is long here and can be very tricky. First you have to be avare of hardy zone you live on. My is Zone 5. If you pick plants regarding this factor you save yourself some hedache. I "retriger" collecting bonsais three years ago. So far all survived. My techniqe for winterizing is to pull out plants/bonsais from pots and burry the rootball in open soil somwhere in garden. During winter they have tampered moist in contact with open soil even is all frozen and I just take care to blow good amount of snow on top of them. Some which I have still in containers [that come this year because I bought a lot plants this Atumn] I'll use "nurseries technique" lay them on side > container facing outwards one next to each other and cover them with ArboTex. The snow comes on top of it. Just make sure all plants have good wattering before it freezes. Hope this should help all depends of your hardy zone. Just mention all my trees are 5 and lover hardy. This will give me more chance they survive and I will not vaste my sommer care and training.