Identification: Large Mushroom Identification

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by stephenclement, Oct 11, 2010.

1. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

I have these large mushrooms coming up under a cedar and spruce tree in my yard and I would like to identify them. They look like argaricus species but before I eat any I would like more opinions. The photos are of the same mushrooms from top and underneath. The gills do not attach to the stem, the gills are light colored but i didnt get a spore print.

Attached Files:

2. bcboy

bcboy Member

3. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

Thanks, I did identify it as the "Prince" . Got it cut up and ready for dinner tonight.
    The sweet almond smell and yellow staining was clear when I harvested them. Got inspired and went out looking for chantrelles later with some luck.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

bcboy - I'm wasn't 100% sure on that ID so i stayed quiet on this one. Of course nothing bad happened, but it had the potential. Just a note out of caution to please put in your replies somewhere something like "I'm also a beginner but this mushroom looks like pictures of XYZ on google (or in such-and-such a book)". Just a concluding note that I do NOT want to discourage you or your posts, on the contrary, I want to encourage them, just with a little more caution though. thanx.

5. stephenclement

stephenclement Member

Thanks for the lookout. I have been picking mushrooms for over 12 years now but I have not done it for a year or so and wanted to confirm it without having to dig out my book which I did anyway. Fried them last night with butter garlic and onions... Mmmmm..... Got some chanterelles to go with it later that day.