Dividing Phormium/ New Zealand Flax

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by wellil, Sep 20, 2010.

1. wellil

wellil Member

On Saturday I divided a large New Zealand Flax that has been very happy in my yard. The divisions broke off very easily with obvious pieces of root on each one. We'd had lots of rain and then sun so it seemed like the perfect time (I have no real idea, but it seemed to go so well at the time).
    Now it's gotten windy and we've had tons more rain and the divisions I planted keep falling over. The main "mama" that I left is also not looking so great - it looks like it wants to fall into smaller pieces and not stay as a big central clump.
    Does anyone know if I can plant these divisions down a little deeper than they used to be? I usually follow the rule of replanting something at the same depth it use to be happy at, but that's just not giving the divisions enough in the ground to stay up. It's a beautiful plant and I don't want to lose it or its babies.

2. mark sooke

mark sooke Member

I divided my New Zealand Flax this past spring. The two pieces lost a lot of leaves and neither looked very happy for several months. Now both are doing well and growing again. I'm not a plant expert but I've heard that these plants take a while to bounce back from division.