Japanese Maples: Bloodgood vs. Burgundy Lace

Discussion in 'Maples' started by lily, Aug 24, 2008.

1. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Paxi - Thanks, isn't it lovely? I love this color too. It's been a week since I planted it and so far, so good.

2. lily

lily Active Member 10 Years

Re: Japanese Maples: Bloodgood vs. Burgundy Lace (TRANSPLANT)

My burgundy lace is now a couple of years old and growing very nicely and has gotten much taller. I would like to move it now because it will look better placed on the corner side of my home. Where I would like to move it, is on the Northwest corner. It will get morning shade and afternoon sun. Will it be okay there or will the leaves burn?
    Thank you.

3. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

A book I have (Vertrees/Gregory 4th ed.) says 'Burgundy Lace' will burn in full sun. No personal experience on this one, so hope someone can confirm from their own experience.

4. Gomero

Gomero Well-Known Member Maple Society 10 Years

Maf,

It has been often said here that the statement 'full sun' needs to be elaborated giving location and climate. I am convinced that 'full sun' in the southern UK is roughly equivalent to morning sun in my place and 'full sun' in northern UK is like dappled shade in my place. To give you an idea, my rose garden is exposed to full afternoon sun, the consequence is that in the period from July to mid-September I basically have no roses to enjoy since the flowers burn as soon as they open. I have nice roses again from now to early November when the frosts begin.

Going back to the subject of this thread, my Burgundy Lace is exposed to 'full' morning sun and shows no sign of sun damage to the leaves.

Gomero

5. maf

maf Generous Contributor Maple Society 10 Years

Gomero, you make a valid and good point. (Maybe I should not make such sweeping generalizations, especially based upon what is written in a book, but was just trying to add another point of view to the question and stimulate discussion.) As it happens I looked back to the 2nd edition of the same book and it has a slightly more elaborate description, saying "It will sunburn in full, hot sun", which goes some way towards a qualification. I guess we need someone in the PNW to confirm whether it can take afternoon sun there.