Identification: Slime mold

Discussion in 'Fungi, Lichens and Slime Molds' started by Ryde Jan, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Ryde Jan

Ryde Jan Member

Hello !
    Which kind of Slime mold is this (Mycetozoa) ?
    Thank you very much for answer !
    Place: N.E. of France
    Time: Middle september 1010

Attached Files:

2. Frog

Frog Generous Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

I'd like to help, but unfortunately I can't tell for certain whether or not this is a slime mold.

Slime molds do climb upward on things, forming spore cases to then release spores from a higher point, presumably to have the wind take them farther.

I don't see anything obviously appearing to be spore cases in this photo, so if this is a slime mold, it may be in a motile stage before forming spore cases, or the holes/cells I see in the photos may be spore cases after spores were released.

Do you see a slime mold trail indicating the passage of its climb up the stalk, or other reasons that you are certain that this is a myxomycete? There are other critters out there that might produce something like this, so I'm hesitant.

cheers,
    frog

3. Ryde Jan

Ryde Jan Member

No.
    Somebody says to me it is Mucilago crustacea, but not sure.
    Thanks.

4. MycoRob

MycoRob Active Member

If it was M. crustacea, you'd see it sporulate eventually. if not, then I'd vote it's not in the Kingdom Fungi or Protista. But, as you've probably noticed, this board generally lacks devoted smile mold experts. -- although we love to look at the pictures and discover new things about them!

5. Ryde Jan

Ryde Jan Member

Thanks !