Bamboo and underground utilities

Discussion in 'Poaceae' started by Kevinm, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Kevinm

Kevinm Member

Hi everyone,

I have some beautiful Phyllostachys aureosulcata cv spectabilis that I am looking to plant in our backyard for an eventual hedge.

I know it is a running plant, so I've purchased enough heavy bamboo barrier to completely encircle the hedge to a depth of approximately two feet.

I've just determined that some of our utilities run underneath a portion of the future hedge at a depth of about two feet. Presumably, these utilities (electric, phone and cable) are well encased given their burial.

Anyway, do you think that I have anything to worry about? Will the rhizomes even get that deep? Will they voraciously devour the wires?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. Michael F

Michael F Paragon of Plants Forums Moderator 10 Years

I doubt that the wires would be damaged, but it could make getting at them very difficult if they ever need to be renewed

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Digging through bamboo is murder, it forms a woody sod.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

Hi

To use the phrase "Call before you dig"

Call your local phone/cable/ electric people and have them come out and check. You sure do not want to find out exactly how or if the cables a protected with a Garden Spade.

Keep in mind that 2' deep may have a +/- factor.

In BC I have found Gas line depths that vary from 4' to 8" below grade on the same property.

Regards Doug

5. petauridae

petauridae Active Member

While I am about a year late to the subject, I just put in some incense bamboo (timber type) and dug down 30 inches to put in my barrier. Never touched the utilities (they should be another foot below) and from what I understand bamboo stays mostly in the top foot or so of the dirt. You obviously need to tamp down the soil around the barrier you put in or the rhizomes will travel down it.