Propagating a Fig Tree in Vancouver

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by mkaplan, Aug 27, 2010.

1. mkaplan

mkaplan Member

My friend has a wonderful fig tree with a bountiful crop of tasty figs. I want to try propagating some twigs or branches so I can grow one in my own garden. I have never done this before. Does anyone have any tips they are willing to share on how to go about doing this. I understand fall is the season to propagate a fig tree so I am keen to learn as much as I can to be ready to go.
    many thanks

2. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

Figs are very receptive to rooting from twig/branch cuttings. I'd take about 6-8" off of a terminal shoot, then just stick it in some moist peat/coir and keep it moist. You'll have roots in about two weeks. I generally take the extra precaution of popping a zip baggie overtop of the cutting and pot, to create a little humidity tent. Other than this, figs are probably among the easiest of all plants to start with cuttings.

3. mkaplan

mkaplan Member

Thanks Lorax. Once you have roots in 2 weeks, do you just pop them in the ground? And if so, is there anything to do to protect them over the winter?

4. lorax

lorax Rising Contributor 10 Years

I'd pot it up into soil with good drainage and keep it indoors until the following spring, actually. That way it's got a much greater chance of not freezing to death!