Angel Trumpet Datura

Discussion in 'Indoor and Greenhouse Plants' started by jnmatzke, Nov 18, 2005.

1. jnmatzke

jnmatzke Member

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to overwinter a large AngelTrumpet outside, in Saanichton? I have read a lot of different articles, and am still undecided. I would appreciate any input. My plant is about 5 feet tall, and still blooming profusely outside, but close to the house. Thanks in advance for any information you could give.
    JNM

2. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

Hi jnmatzke,

Daturas are often grown as annuals. Do you know what species it is? D. inoxia will die to the ground but come back from the roots in mild climates, should be fine here.

This is a datura not a brugmansia, right? A brugmansia would not do well outdoors for the winter.

3. jnmatzke

jnmatzke Member

Re: Pachira (money tree ) question

Eric
    Thanks for your reply. I think my plant may be a Bergmansia, as the blooms hang down, It is not the White Datura that blooms upward. I really don't know much about the plant as I bought it at a sidewalk sale. If I bring it inside, should I cut it back, and how much? Many thanks
    JNM

4. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

If it is a brugmansia, you should bring it in. You can prune it back if it is too large, if you lower the height it will make the plant bushier. If you want a tall plant, leave it.

5. Colleen

Colleen Member

I too would like to try and overwinter my Angel Trumpet, but mine is definitely a datura. It is about 2' in size, bloomed fabulously all summer and is currently full of seed pods. It is in a large pot, fully exposed on the patio right now, but I'm guessing I should bring it in the garage for winter??? Any suggestions would be greatfully appreciated!

6. Madi

Madi Member

Colleen, did you ever learn how to overwinter the Datura? I have a purple one and would hate to loose it. I would appreciate any advice you have. Thanks Madi

7. GreenElephant

GreenElephant Active Member

RE the datura in the pot, you can bring it in as is. Put it in the dark corner of the garage, frost free. Thick tap roots store starch.

I have found them a bit slow to start in the spring. But if you can give them some heat, they will surge with new growth.

Be sure to keep a pod of seeds in case you lose your plant. At least you can start more in spring.

8. swican

swican Member

I am new to Victoria, and like to purchase an Angel Trumpet Datura, but can't find any of them..........anybody knows where to buy a Datura ?? Thanks