Figs w/info & source on Osborn Prolific & Violette De Bourdeaux

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by ManyFruits, Jul 15, 2008.

1. ManyFruits

ManyFruits Member

I have read about these figs (Osborn Prolific & ‘Violette De Bourdeaux' or ‘Negronne') being well suited for the Pacific Northwest but I haven't heard of anyone growing them or found any source for them around Vancouver. Any info about them from anyone who has grown these or a Canadian source? (I've done the Desert King & Italian and want to branch out).

2. tallclover

tallclover Member

3. ManyFruits

ManyFruits Member

Thanks for letting me know how your figs are doing. Good (for me) to know that your Osborne isn't producing yet as I'll keep it on hold for getting one (still can't locate one anyway) until I hear success. Sounds like the Bayernfeige is the one to get, and I'll definitely keep up my hunt for one.

Last year I got a Stella, Negronne, and Peter's Honey figs. The Stella is twice the size of the other 2 now but no figs, Negronne had 1 which I just ate (quite good), and Peter's Honey has a few that aren't quite ready.

A prunning book I have told me to summer prune back to about 5 leaves on figs in cooler climates in order to encourage branching and figs for next summer. Do you any experience with summer prunning?

4. tallclover

tallclover Member

I tend to be prudent pruner, and don't go hog wild with felcos. I will prune the lead stems if I have a tall spindly tree, so as to encourage branching out. And if the tree has a lot of cross branching and limb touching, I'll prune out the culprits. Other than that, I don't prune too much.