Clematis armandii now or in spring?

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Raine, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Raine

Raine Member

I want to cover up some ugly architectural features, and have decided on evergreen clematis.

Does anyone have any advice on if I should wait 'til spring to put them in or if there would be an advantage to getting them in the ground now? We're on the west side of Vancouver.

Thanks for any advice!

2. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Fall would be best from a cultural standpoint, but local selection liable to be less. Middle of summer next worst time after middle of winter. Another reason to try now anyway would be possible cold winter this year, we are having same conditions now that preceded fairly sharp winter of 2008. Evergreen clematis not completely hardy in this region, some winter damage occurs when it gets a little more cold than what is usual on a year-to-year basis. For instance, evergreen clematis across the street from me burned back in 2008.

3. dt-van

dt-van Active Member 10 Years

Clematis armandii can be a beautiful plant, but it doesn't always thrive and often looks ugly and damaged or even dies after a moderately hard winter. As an alternative that doesn't seem to be as picky you could try the evergreen honeysuckle Lonicera henryii. It grows quickly, has attractive (though not fragrant) flowers, nice berries and seems to be problem free. I've had one for several years, interplanted with a fragrant belgian honeysuckle and both have done really well. None of the aphid problems I had with my previous honeysuckle.

4. Raine

Raine Member

Thanks for the replies! I'll try the honeysuckle....I just took out a traditional honeysuckle in the back because of annoyance with the aphids!

5. stoneangel

stoneangel Active Member VCBF Cherry Scout

Why don't you try passionflower? I have one on my balcony in a pot, that made it through the winter. It's an evergreen and will cover everything quickly.