What is happening to these apples?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by wkhan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. wkhan

wkhan Member

Hi,
    Here is a crab-apple tree. I'm not sure what type of crab-apple tree, so I've attached pictures of the whole tree and the trunk. (anyone know?) The location is in Edmonton, Alberta. Photos were taken on August 17, 2010. I'm judging by the number of apples that have fallen on the ground that tree was ripe for picking a few weeks ago, and now the apples are falling off (and rotting)?

My question is this (I know I'm a newby at this). I've looked at the apples still on the tree (there are still lots), and it looks like they are either starting to rot, or being eaten by bugs or birds. Can anyone one here tell me what is likely happening to the apples still on the tree? I see no bugs, or birds near by. If they are starting to rot, wouldn't the whole apple shrivel up and dry out? If they are eaten by bugs, then would I still see lots of bugs on the apples themselves? If they are eaten by birds, wouldn't I always see birds hanging around the tree and always eating the apples? It has been raining a lot lately - could this be a systemic disease?

Thanks,
    Will

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years

Torn leaves suggest hail damage.

3. Thean

Thean Active Member 10 Years

Good Morning Will,
    I think your apple is Heyer 12. It's a small, early ripening cooking apple with extremely poor storage potential. I also think Saltcedar is correct that you have hail damage. Heyer 12 is also very attractive to apple maggot. This insect is now wide spread in Edmonton. You won't see any external damage and will have to cut open the apple to see the damages. If you are interested in apples, come to the fruit show at the Devonian Botanic Gardens on Sunday 18 September between 10 am to 3 pm. You can see and taste all the apples that can be grown in Alberta and Saskatchewan, and talk with some crazy growers about your problems.
    Peace
    Thean

4. wkhan

wkhan Member

Good insight! There was a huge violent hail storm last week. But would hail actually knock a chunk out of an apple? (perhaps?) Also, if apple maggots eat apples from the inside, that wouldn't account for the damage on the outside. So, we are still left with the question, why are the apples looking the way they are?
    Thanks,
    Will