Deer Barrier Plantings

Discussion in 'Garden Pest Management and Identification' started by Eric La Fountaine, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Eric La Fountaine

Eric La Fountaine Contributor Forums Moderator 10 Years

The following was received via email:

Hello. I have recently retired and will soon be buying acreage in the Kootenays. As my retirement activity will primarily be flower/shrub and vegetable gardening, I will immediately have to erect deer fencing I am looking into the Nakusp/Kaslo area and this is an area that is heavily populated with deer, black and grizzly bear, and cougar. I think it would be appropriate to plant barbed or thorny barrier shrubs/trees along the outer perimeter of the property that would help to discourage visits from these animals. I have sought out this information on the web but many of the plants recommended are suited to tropical or desert climates. Would you be so kind as to direct me to a list of barrier plantings that would be appropriate in the Nakusp/Slocan Valley area?

2. NiftyNiall

NiftyNiall Active Member 10 Years

You also have Elk running rampant around there. Black Hawthorn is the most suitable native species for the climate, it prefers a moist soil, but tolerates the normal dry regime that occurs in the area, in summer. A mulch would be appropriate, if I remember correctly the soils in the area are quite porous, due to the easily eroded rocks in the area. You are limited in the selection barrier plants by the wide ranging climate, and soil conditions. ungulates will eat almost anything if hungry.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You'll need quite a fence to exclude grizzly bears. Maybe concentrate your budget on a serious fence rather than spending part of it on thorny plantings, that might be rendered redundant by the fencing anyway.

4. douglas

douglas Active Member 10 Years

HI

Ron has much said it /what we find works best is not only a fence but an electric zapper wire about 3 away a 2 feet high.

When gardening in areas with critters it is always good to keep in mind "If you build it, they will come "

Regards doug

5. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

For the really valuable stuff I use "Pine cuttings". The cuttings should be ten feet long, pointed on the bottom end and pressure treated. Pound them in 2 1/2 feet, about 12 to 15 ft. apart and stretch 6 1/2 ft. 12 gauge hi-tensile deer mesh between them. Two strands of 12.5 ga. hi-tensile wire above that and a single electrified wire 30" off the ground and 3 ft. outside this structure completes the "planting". Water the ground stakes weekly in dry periods. Fortunately for us, we don't have Grizzleys.

Ralph

6. ellellbee

ellellbee Member

Considering that deer love to eat wild or culitavated rosed, thorns and all, I don't think thorns are the way to go. I have heard that a double fence works best. In other words, run a string line fence about 3 - 4 feet inside your deer fence. They are hesitant to jump the first fence when they see another obstacle inside it in case they become trapped. Worth a try if you are fencing anyways.

7. chuckrkc

chuckrkc Active Member

5 days, 750+ views -- deer are a widespread pest, according to this data!