Propagation: hawthorn bush cuttings?

Discussion in 'HortForum' started by fannon, Aug 8, 2010.

1. fannon

fannon Member

hello i was wondring how to take successful cuttings from a hawthorn bush.each one i have tried has wilted and died, or just not rooted.has anyone got any other ways or tips?

2. togata57

togata57 Generous Contributor 10 Years

Describe the technique you used in past attempts.

3. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

Generally grown from seed or grafted. There has been one English company getting common hawthorn to root from cuttings, and Mayhaw is grown from cuttings in Louisiana. As with many other deciduous trees and shrubs, usual expectation would be that young soft shoots need to be taken early in the season, kept alive in special propagation setups long enough to root with time still left in first season to make new shoot growth and set terminal buds before going dormant in fall. No overwintering termal buds, no new shoot growth the following year - even when roots have been formed.

4. fannon

fannon Member

i didnt try anything special, i either cut a new shoot off at an angle and put into water on a windowsil, and using my fingers just snap/tear a shoot off at the stump where it meets the main plant.it would then have a heel and i tried putting that into a small pot of a sand a compost mixture and then covered it with a plastic bag to stop the sun burning it. all the windowsill methods failed. and only got close with the potting as some leaves died but the ones that were left stayed for a few weeks.It never rooted though.

5. Ron B

Ron B Paragon of Plants 10 Years

You have to get more serious with your methods to root something like a hawthorn.

6. fannon

fannon Member

and so how? have you got any other ideas?

7. saltcedar

saltcedar Rising Contributor 10 Years