black aphids

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by Jeannie Buss, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Jeannie Buss

Jeannie Buss Member

this year I have a real problem with black aphids. at first there were green aphids on our roses. then I put in nasturtiums and the black aphids are thick on the nasturtiums, and moving onto the hydrangea and the roses.

how can I best get rid of them without pesticides?

2. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

...gently squish them between your fingers. Works well. Just don't think about it too much the first few times :)
    Hosing the plant vigorously daily helps too, if it is the kind of plant that will tolerate this treatment. I do this in the morning when it's sunny so as not to encourage mildews & other fungi (don't know if the timing is important or not...oh well)

Nasturtiums are blackfly magnets in my yard. I just gave up growing them, unfortunately.

My 2 cents worth

gb

3. Dunc

Dunc Active Member

I contoll my aphids by turning loose a box of Ladybugs. Most of the garden stores sell them. They will clean up an infestation in a couple of days and then continue to hunt. They are cheaper than sprays and a lot more fun.

4. Jeannie Buss

Jeannie Buss Member

great! thank you for all the tips. I will try the ladybugs first. there are 1000's of aphids by now and I would prefer to keep the nastursiums.

5. Lysichiton

Lysichiton Active Member

...good luck. Hosing really does help. Pinching out the susceptible young tips helps me as well.

gb.