growing grapes-beginner

Discussion in 'Outdoor Gardening in the Pacific Northwest' started by joyceread, Jul 31, 2010.

1. joyceread

joyceread Member

I recently moved to north Qualicum Beach and wish to start a grape "garden"-What kind of soil is needed and what is the best grape to grow in this area?
    Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Any well drained soil with (hopefully) full sun southern exposure will do. The variety depends on what you want out of your Grape: wine? red or white? table (eating) grapes? seeded or seedless? Or perhaps just shade and bird food?
    I'd be very surprised if there isn't a gardening club in Q Beach; check with some of your new neighbors and try some samples. If you find one you like you will probably be able to get a few cuttings to start next spring (take them in early March before the sap starts to move). If you are offerred Interlaken, try to get several cuttings as I find them a bit difficult to start.

Ralph

3. joyceread

joyceread Member

Thank you Ralph. Yes a wine grape would be my pick-both red and white-how many vines would you suggest we (husband and myself) grow? This is for our own use.

4. Ralph Walton

Ralph Walton Active Member 10 Years

Here's more info (and at the same time less) than you need:

Selection of a grape variety is a very personal and individual growing environment (climate and micro-climate) based decision. It's a combination of "what do I want to drink?" and "what will my land grow?", with consideration of what you are willing to spray (and how often), water supply, what is available....

The first link:
    http://www.agf.gov.bc.ca/treefrt/homegdn/grapes.htm
    gives a list of various grapes for various purposes that is presumably a current opinion. The winegrape list for coastal areas from the same department about 6 years ago is "Auxerrois, castel 19637, kerner, madeleine sylvaner, madeleine angevine, ortega, siegerrebe, and schonberger". You will note there is no common ground!

The second link:
    http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/grape/publications/documents/overview_grapes_dec2004.pdf
    will give you in appendix A a list of actual production quantities by variety in BC at approximately the same period (2004).

There are other varieties that appear on none of these lists. Some that are considered (by some) to be "easy growers" like Foch require a slightly different winemaking approach from some of the traditional European varieties, Others like Pinot Noir are available in literally hundreds of "Clones" that all have their own characteristics (and following).

So, if it's wine you are interested in, here's my assignment: join the Wine Islands Growers Association:
    http://www.wiga.ca/
    and make a list of all the wineries on Vancouver Island and visit as many as you can this summer and fall. Ask lots of questions; sample the wares. It may help to take a "designated driver" along. Then decide and plant in the spring. It's a hard job but somebody's got to do it.

Ralph

5. joyceread

joyceread Member

Thanks again Ralph. Will certainly take your advice.
    Joyceread